Author Topic: Taking a pillion ?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
Taking a pillion ?
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:12:34 PM »
Does anybody on here regularly take pillion passengers on the 400 ?
If you do how does it affect the ride ?
Is the engine up to it?

Cheers
rod.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Taking a pillion ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:32:15 PM »
Sometimes. It's not a problem for the engine. It is a problem for the ground clearance though, unless you want to screw up your shock settings.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
Taking a pillion ?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 08:02:48 PM »
It all comes down to weight and experience. If your pillion weighs too much plus your own weight it will bog down that 400 motor. And if they are not experienced in ridin on the back. They will fight the flow on entry, during, and exit of a turn, and disrupt the ride. That is were your experience comes in. I always ask if they are familiar with the way a bike handles and will explain to them what to expect during the ride. That way there are no surprises. When you have a person who is comfortable with riding pillion it can be very smooth. Practice, Practice, Practice, as with everything else on the bike. Good luck.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Taking a pillion ?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:24:07 PM »
+1
for example, when i take my bro as pillion, it's like a sack of cement strapped  on the back. He's 77kgs and not familiar with riding.
Then i take a friend of mine as pillion, he's 60kgs and knows how the stuff works, i don't feel a thing, only the b4 works a little harder to get there
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Taking a pillion ?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:17:25 PM »
My wife and I take turns riding each other on the back of her Ninja 250.  She's a good deal heavier than I am and the bike has no problem handling it.  You just have to readjust your expetations of acceleration and braking, then it's no problem.  If the 250 can do it then our 400s can do it.