Author Topic: Test rode a CB1 tonight  (Read 4119 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:01:24 AM »
I test rode a cb1 tonight for a friend. I rode my bike to the viewing and the guy who owned it was trying to explain to me how to ride a 400. Ha. Yes, I know rev the crap outa it.

This bike had loads of km's (65,000 km) on it. It needs new tires, and switch gear. But I the motor was in nice shape (I hate to say it, but it felt stronger then my bike  :shock:) . The tranny was more difficult to shift then the bandit. I'm not sure if its just out of adjustment, or if honda transmissions are just stiffer.

My friend ended up picking it up for $2,300 cdn. Seemed reasonable to me.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
before the B4 i was always interested in owning a CB-1.. Pretty difficult to find them here, although i've seen prices for some of them in the Netherlands for 1.500Euro.
Very good engines, virtually unbreakable cam system (sprocket-driven, ther's no cam chain!), but you're in deep shit when there's some wear 'n tear on it.. good luck in trying to find some of these sprockets..

I have a vid of a CB-1 on a dyno, sounds veeeery sweet, and it seems like it has more power than ours indeed, but i don't know the actual figures.

:congrats:  to your friend on buying it, i'm pretty sure he'll love it.  :wink:

Have Fun!
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:45:44 PM »
now tell him to start sourcing cbr 400rr part (like cams) and he will be amazed the cb1 is vertually the same as a cbr 400 which are all over the UK.
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:38:41 PM »
There's one CB1 here in town, nice little bike I rode it before I bought my bandit as my buddy use to own it. Him and I race them quite a few times and the bandit won every one. Not even it's gear driven cams could help it. It would top out at 185kph.. It might handle a little better but the Mighty Bandit has got the Motor .

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:12:08 AM »
now tell him to start sourcing cbr 400rr part (like cams) and he will be amazed the cb1 is vertually the same as a cbr 400 which are all over the UK.
cheers
Jay

Thanks for the info. I've already been looking. It almost feels like I bought the bike. *Knock wood* the Bandit hasn't needed much work this year, so I'm looking forward to fixing up the CB-1.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:14:20 AM »
It would top out at 185kph.. It might handle a little better but the Mighty Bandit has got the Motor .

Good because I wouldn't want to get embarrassed by a newbie! The CB-1 probably just felt faster since I wasn't used to it. It's still got the stock exhaust on it so I didn't mind reving the piss out of it. My bandit with the yoshimura exhaust gets rather obnoxious in the city at high revs.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline flint666

• Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:22:23 PM »
but the limiter on the cb-1 can be removed easy enough as it's just a tab inside the clocks,  

Even easyer fit a kph/mph converter to the cable, as the limit kicks in from the speedo not the tacho

Andy

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »
Quote from: flint666
but the limiter on the cb-1 can be removed easy enough as it's just a tab inside the clocks,  

Even easyer fit a kph/mph converter to the cable, as the limit kicks in from the speedo not the tacho

Andy

They arn't limited here in Canada, thats all they have got

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:10:41 PM »
I always liked the looks of the CB-1.  This pic is the closest I've gotten to one...

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
cb1 is much more comfy than all the other 400's, thats because its a Honda. when I raced back in 94, my bandit would flat-out out run the cb1. in stock trim. here was the class in order of power: D-production.
 ex 500, gs 500e, hawk gt ,cb1, bandit,  fzr 400. this is flat out power. keep in mind all these bikes were just a few years old. as  far as modded, then the fzr and bandit were neck and neck but the hawk was very close I mean very close. just becuase it had a huge after market. bandit had nothing..... I had a pipe and jet kit.  V&H pipe out produced the yosh pipe.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 07:28:21 PM »

Wow,.. Honda really hasn't changed their design in many years.  The 599 and the 919 are "updated" styling wise, but that's about it.  Same lines.

Same "transformer" looking top end, the front end.  The main difference is the slightly more hidden frame.  Move the exhaust and it's very similar looking indeed.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 11:49:39 PM »
The CB-1 was pretty high tech looking in its day. It still looks modern today even 17 years later. That's staying power. It's a nice clean techy bike.

The bandit has a more retro classic look and also still looks great. Overall I think the bandit looks better. But the CB-1 has the bandit beat in comfort, and instrumentation (I want a temp gauge!).

I took the CB-1 on another ride this weekend. I was surprised to find out that it had a fuel pump. I figured it was gravity fed as well. I'd almost prefer gravity fed as its one less part to kak out on you at the wrong time.

I also found this one has a leaky carb. I'm not sure if the float valve is stuck open, or if the gasket is bad. Not a huge deal to fix... assuming I can still find the parts.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Test rode a CB1 tonight
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 01:29:55 PM »
The CB-1 was pretty high tech looking in its day. It still looks modern today even 17 years later. That's staying power. It's a nice clean techy bike.

The bandit has a more retro classic look and also still looks great. Overall I think the bandit looks better. But the CB-1 has the bandit beat in comfort, and instrumentation (I want a temp gauge!).

I definitely prefer the look of the Bandit 400.  They're fairly unique looking.  I think that's why when you go somewhere that there are a lot of bike people, you start to find a lot of people looking at her, and asking what she is.

I took the CB-1 on another ride this weekend. I was surprised to find out that it had a fuel pump. I figured it was gravity fed as well. I'd almost prefer gravity fed as its one less part to kak out on you at the wrong time.

I think they both have their benefits, but I wouldn't suspect that a fuel pump would be needed on that bike.  I know that the CB900f can use it.

I also found this one has a leaky carb. I'm not sure if the float valve is stuck open, or if the gasket is bad. Not a huge deal to fix... assuming I can still find the parts.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at the availabilty of Honda parts.  Of course the first place to look is the same places we look for Suzuki parts,  BikeBandit, Ron Ayers, Mr Motorcycle.  Then you also have servicehonda.com.   They usually have -the- best prices.  Dealers often have the parts in stock, or in your case, likely a day away at worst (Often I wait a week cos parts are in Vancouver or Toronto.), in the event of an emergency, but we still get bent over for parts here, despite the "Strength" of our dollar.  

i.e. $506 USD plus shipping (from service honda) for the tank on the 599 ( the blue pic I posted) or $1200CDN for it.  This isn't unique to Honda either. it's just the most recent price that I have, cos a friend needed that tank.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works