Author Topic: Does anyone have experience with this exhaust?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Does anyone have experience with this exhaust?
« on: May 19, 2006, 05:33:38 AM »

My exhaust could stand to be quieter, a lot quiter.  I deciced to repack it but ran into trouble.  

My problem is that the perforated tube inside is not coming out and what area I can put packing into only exists halfway down the can.  

As you can see from this picture the perforated tube seems to be welded into the can.  

Also, the can is not slipping off of the mid-pipe.  You can see I have the bolts removed but it's not budging.  Does any one know if this exhaust comes apart anymore than this?  Even if I could get it off the mid pipe is there any place else I could put packing?

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:38:15 AM »
The last Yoshi I repacked, the can came apart at the part you have circled in the last picture.  It had the same button-head allen screws as what held the end-cap on.  I do Distinctly remember it being an absolute Bitch to remove though (as in, there were 2 250+lb guys yanking on it and it wasn't doing much).  

I'd suggest giving it a gooad soak in some penetrating lube (probably from the inside, so you can just get a puddle of it sitting down there and leave the can upright for a night or two).  Then on the 'inside' (towards the bike, away from view), try tapping a chissel to see if you cna get any seperation.  It MAY just be an interfearance fit that's been all sooted together from a few years of use.  

Good luck
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:05:22 PM »
the part in the middle will wiggle out may take some time. wrap alot of packing around it tight and hold it with some masking tape so you can slide it in the tube. some to take off like you want are galded on there and require a chisel and some persistance but un the end you end up chewing it up and then have to repaire the end , or you can try a propain torch to heat it up a bit and a rubber mallet to tap on to try to loosen it up a bit. then it might wiggle off . but lube and heat would be my chioce. cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:29:48 PM »
Damn... you guys with long out-of-production bandits are quite imaginative and creative!

(And pretty desperate)   :wink:

Offline jonboy

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 12:37:55 AM »
You need to get rid of that nasty ole yosh, send it to me and I'll throw a real nice stocker your way!!! Pleeez!