Author Topic: The journey begins  (Read 2157 times)

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
The journey begins
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:30:08 AM »
Hi all!  Bought a B400 w/ only 2500 miles, was told that it didn't run correctly.  After draining the carbs and all the old gas, I got it to fire up.  But it wouldn't idle AT ALL.  Had to keep the gas on over 3k to get it to keep running.  Upon stalling I checked the plugs, #1 looks good, #2 wet and fouling, #3 couldn't check, too tight and #4 wet and fouling, I tore the carbs apart tonight and the floats all look to be within spec of .570, the shop was telling me that it was a motor problem, but I feel that it is a fuel/electrical problem.  This bike is absolutely mint, and I just have this feeling that it's something stupid and easily fixed.  Could it be my ignitor?  Feedback please.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
The journey begins
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 06:01:29 AM »
Easy things first...  how's the condition of the HT leads?  They are notorious for rotting at the ends, particularly the boot end.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
The journey begins
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:09:33 AM »
Well, i think you mean the plug wires right?  They appear to be in pretty good shape, I checked to make sure all my leads were going to the correct cylinders, shoulda figured it wouldn't be THAT easy.  This thing is weird, it just seems like it's getting way too much gas.  I'm tearing the carbs the rest of the way apart and cleaning them, from the way the float bowls looked when I took it apart though, it probably won't need it, the bowls were spotless, after sitting for 5 years!  I'm still cleaning the rest of them anyways.  Is there something on this bike that could just make the 2nd and 4th carb just flood with gas and keep pushing it through other than floats.  I checked the main jets and they are all stock 102.5's, I know that that only has a bearing on high RPM, but just for stock settings sake, it seems no one has fooled around with it.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
The journey begins
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »
Yes, there is something...  it's called old, cracked o-rings in the carbs.  Might as well just get an order started for the 12 o-rings used in the carbs (I'll be about a $15 order, nothing to blink at ~ though you Might need some of the plugs for the pilot circuit too).  It's all fairly well documented in here if you want to search on it.  You have to use fuel resistant o-rings, not just the stuff you can pick up at the hardware store.  

Anyway, when these crack and fail, they allow way mroe fuel into the system than is 'right'.  Simple to fix, cheap too...   and almost a certain necessity for a 15 year old bike.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400