Author Topic: Top end run.  (Read 9429 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 07:49:46 PM »
Quote from: gsxr400 racer
you bike is a 93 ? lmao check the cdi wires

yep its s '93. cdi has 7 wires: 3  to the small plug and 4 to the large plug.

does that mean its limited?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 08:46:12 PM »
Andrew - all the fun should be above 10k.  IMHO, with that set up you're way lean on top.  With my last configuration, I was pulling hard to the rev limiter.  I'm lighter than you at ~162 but I think you should easily get more out of it.  I may have actually been a little rich with 110s but I'll bet you'd see a big improvement with 102.5 or 105. (You have FP needles, right?)
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 11:30:40 PM »
PitterB4, yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing. My old '91 pulled better too. not sure what it had for mains, but it didn't have the k&n/snorkel removal and pulled better. Of course, I wasn't 200#'s.... but I also wasn't much less than 190#. And yes, I have FP needles. Will have to try the larger jets.... maybe tomorrow. :grin:

Like I've said before, I haven't done any throttle chops, anyone else find that a reliable method for checking main jet size? or is top speed just as good an indicator?

Oh, it does pull fine over 10k in the lower gears, but then in the lower gears, its harder to tell how much is engine pull and how much is gearing. the power drop shows in the taller gears above 10k. I'm gonna have to do some more "scientific" testing. My top end runs were on a ride with a 1200 bandit and a cbr929 in front of me... more of a frantic attempt to keep up than a really good methodical test.  It was tough in the straights, but gotta love than bandit when the road starts to curl up on itself. Those power junkies can't handle for crap  :monkeymoon: when it gets a little twisty  :motorsmile:

nothing like watching the big boys pull away and then start panicking and looking over their shoulders when I'm all over the butts in the corners weeeeeee.....

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Top end run.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 12:29:30 AM »
i think there is something definatley fishy with the 3 wire cdi's  i had one and it def had the same problems as you once it got so high it just didnt make no power  seemed flat when it should have been pulling hard still everything i did just improved everything under that spot never helped it pull the rest of the way till i swaped out wiring harnesses and cdi boxes so now i no longer have that issue mine pulles to 14500. So anyone wanna buy a year old 93 cdi box. I think the bike is in need of a mmax derestrictor if they make one for the bandit.
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 12:12:02 PM »
huh. I looked at the wiring diagram for the 1993, but itsonly available in the low-res manual and is essentially unreadable. Did you try just disconnecting the one extra wire? (yellow/green, right?).

Anybody got a readable copy of the '93 wiring diagram they can send me?

I can't imagine they completely redesigned the CDI, just enabled some functionallity that was always there. so then it should be fairly easy to disable that "feature".

whats a mmax derestrictor?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 01:35:12 PM »
there is a posh derestrictor, mmax and others that wire due to the harness has power to it something low voltage but follow that wire it is hooked to your gear indicator on the left sides by your foot i think the bike is speed restricted, anytime your cdi is conected to the gears its bad news. Chris H has a derestrictor on his contact him if you can on this board and ask him all i know is you cant unplug it it does nothing pluged in or not still the same. So if you wish unplug it yourself and go ride it. other thing that sucks is this cdi doesnt work in my bike now that ive changed the wireharness over but the 7 cdi's that i had that i thought i had to fix all work now , so you tell me but best bet is to get ahold of chris Hand ask him about his something to do with that wires to ground with a diode in between. cheers sorry i couldnt be more help i went about it the hard way.
Jay
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 02:47:03 PM »
well, I've got a green w/ yellow wire running into my harness at the back by the cdi, the next green w/ yellow coming out of it actually runs to the oil pressure sending unit. So, that's not the right one. it changes color somewhere in the wiring harness (ugh). So I'll have to cut it or rip apart the harness and see what I can find.

How annoying is this, why in the world would they put this kind of limiting on such a small bike?

anyway, off to change jets and make sure that's not the issue.

A

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 02:54:04 PM »
okay here's an interesting bit that I found.

http://www.visordown.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-81782.html

They talk about a sensor in the speedo that might be causing the restricting and you can basically modify the speedo to eliminate the restriction.

anyone got insight on this?

A

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Top end run.
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »
You DO NOT have a restricted bike so stop chasing after rainbows! Get your jetting right first your way too lean with the combination you have just as Rob has stated!!! If the bike runs I can bet the ignitor is fine

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 08:26:45 PM »
While you should ideally only change one thing at a time, I'd also make sure your needles are on the middle clip position when you go to the bigger main.  I am too lazy to go look at your older posts but I seem to remember that you'd raised the them.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 11:34:01 PM »
At this point Rob is the carb Ninja. I don't know of anyone who dicked around more with them besides Jay.

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 12:56:47 AM »
Quote from: Thief400
You DO NOT have a restricted bike so stop chasing after rainbows! Get your jetting right first your way too lean with the combination you have just as Rob has stated!!! If the bike runs I can bet the ignitor is fine

Ok so why is there some that are and some that arent , some that have 2 wires and some that have 3 , some that are speed resticted How about Chris H's bike it was restricted electonically?

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Top end run.
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 08:47:15 AM »
BECAUSE no bikes that were sold in north america were RESTRICTED. If you think the bandit is bad for different igniters  the older GSXR 750 and 1100 are a nightmare!!!!!

Offline wyntrblue

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
i have a totaly stock bandit its a gsf400vp i have got it up to 125mph (and have the speeding ticket to prove it lol) personaly for road use why you would need anything more than that is beyond me

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »
cool! I started a flame war!  :duh:

okay, Thief400, just so you know, I am pursuing the jetting and agree that I was/am too lean up top. I was merely attempting to educate myself. (something I do lots of :grin:).

I've subsequently jumped from a 97.5 to a 102.5 main and have no problems. I will go up to a 105 today and see what that does.

However... it has not yet solved the brickwall that hits over 100. Now, I didn't get to REALLY test it as there were cops lurking around and I was forced to less than ideal testing grounds. But I watched it pull like a train in all gears up to redline but 5th & 6th gear it basically dies at about 10k (somewhere around 100mph) and pulls much more slowly up to around 105 which was all the room I had on that road. Maybe that is just the current shape of the power curve and it only really shows in those taller gears because that's where the horspower is no longer sufficient.

PitterB4, yeah, I definitely need to raise that needle another notch. I had pulled it up from 1 to 2 already when I fixed the worn emulsion tubes/slide carriers. It still seems a little dry right in the needle range.

wyntrblue, I agree. I don't need anything over 90, frankly, but am in pursuit of a properly setup bike, even if I don't use it fully most of the time. This whole issue came up cause I went on a ride with some big boys and found my top end on a nice long straight while I was riding in the middle of the pack.

to all of you:  :thanks: