Author Topic: Track day qestion..  (Read 1580 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Track day qestion..
« on: January 14, 2006, 02:34:19 AM »
I was thinking to myself today that one of the things I'd love to do at some point is get to a track day. My one question would be: what does it take?

I've read the requirements in NESBA and what they're looking for and I also know I'd have to borrow or buy a new helmet (I use a modular) and that some places require leathers (which I do not have; I plain can't afford them and to me, borrowing leathers is kind of gross) but I do have gear, only in textile. I'm aware of the inherant risks and dangers involved with riding on the track but how much does it usually cost?

I'm obviously not made of money and the requirement and regulations for safety are important and expensive, the main reason why I've never had the chance to do a track day in my car. I'm just curious what the cost and requirement is to do it on the moto.

-Randy

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Track day qestion..
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 08:56:25 AM »
Randy - the NESBA rule book pretty well covers it.  Some of the organizations differ a little.  Reduc and Sport Bike Track time are a little more lax, I think and will let you on the track in textile.  I looked at Reduc's rules and they say that tex is allowed but to call them to confirm that your suit will be acceptable.  Other than that, you need a newish, non modular helmet, guantlet gloves and m/c leather boots.  Some also require a back protector (can be had for ~$75, I think).

Other costs....  tires have to be 85% or better and you're gonna burn through a lot of tire there.  You need to get there and we don't really have any "close" tracks here.  Pocono has to be an hour or more for you and for me anyway, pulling a trailer behind an SUV is expensive.  If you're going somewhere further away, you'll have lodging costs (unless the track has free camping which many do).  Meals, tolls, track gate fees, strip clubs...  it all adds up.  

So, you have the club membership ($75) for NESBA, $160 trackday fee (NESBA/Pocono), $45 or so in gas to get there and back, $10 for food and drink, you'll probably burn through ~$50 worth of you Pilot Powers, another misc $15-$25 for tolls, gate fees and gas for the bike etc., then your own discresion at the bar or strip club afterwords  :wink: .

Other considerations - If the weather is crappy, you might loose all of the above for a couple laps around the track.  If you crash, you're gonna f-up most of your gear.  If neither of the above happens, your gonna have the time of your life!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7