Author Topic: Trackdays on the B4...  (Read 5219 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Trackdays on the B4...
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
Got back from the track yesterday and some observations about the little bike:

-Top speed in ideal conditions: 125 or so indicated bouncing off the limiter in 6th. When the wind picked up, I never got it up there again, just didn't have the power.

-Emulators and a shock upgrade are definitely on the NEED list if you're going faster.

-4-1 exhaust is a bitch to ride with. If the revs fall below 9 grand, you're in a torque hole. Power comes on at 10k like a freight train though so keep the revs UP. Now I know what the 2 stroke guys deal with. I might try the stocker again for grins.

-4 pot front brake works well. Not as well as having another disc but hey, it's what we've got in the states.

-Wish the chassis and swingarm were stiffer. Wheelbase is fine for me, just want something more stable. A damper doesn't help frame flex.

-You will be the smallest displacement bike on the grid in higher groupings so cornerspeed and late-braking are your friends.

I was dicing with big bikes outbraking them in the more technical sections but left for dead in all the straights. It was frustrating getting a pass done and then having to do it all over again after the straight. Made it fun though, the little bike stayed upright and out of the grass.

-Randy

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Trackdays on the B4...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »
Great info, what rear shock are you running, and what front caliper?

Just curious, not that I'm at the point where I'm tracking my bike yet.

My exhaust is a 4-1 as well (on the street) and it really does have to be around 10k and it comes on bigtime  :thumb:  Wonder how it would feel with a 442cc kit and gsxr cams, maybe some flatslides too? (we can all dream right)
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »
-You will be the smallest displacement bike on the grid in higher groupings so cornerspeed and late-braking are your friends.

Except for the 'tards and 2-stroke 125s and 250s!  There was a control rider who used to work Pocono East on a 'tard.  He could absolutely smoke everyone out there. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:32:35 PM »
Great info, what rear shock are you running, and what front caliper?

Just curious, not that I'm at the point where I'm tracking my bike yet.

My exhaust is a 4-1 as well (on the street) and it really does have to be around 10k and it comes on bigtime  :thumb:  Wonder how it would feel with a 442cc kit and gsxr cams, maybe some flatslides too? (we can all dream right)

Nathan, I'm running an 08 GSXR 750 rear shock with a 2001 GSXR 750 Tokico 4 pot caliper non-radial on an adapter. I had to make a new reservoir for the radiator and the adapter is 1/2 of an SV setup. Fits up fine.

I've recently welded in a divider in the collector to hopefully make the V&H pipe a little less high strung. Of course I did it and I had to get back on the road for work. I hope to get on it and see what it does when I get home.

Rob, I'd love to get back to Pocono now that I have a little more of an idea. We'll see.

-Randy

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:16 AM »
If you think of it, post up a picture of your new reservoir and where you mounted it, or a good description. I'd like to do that kind of shock upgrade for my daughter, but I am a little worried about those fitment issues.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:13:49 PM »
http://55digital.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Absolute-Cycle-Track-Session-June-7-2010/G0000MZAqyonyO9g/I000068YIF76yMPQ

Chasing my buddy in front on an R6

I'll see if I can get a shot of the reservoir. Pretty simple though, I used the cap and hose and just used a small bottle that they fit on and ziptied it to the frame.  Plenty of room for the shock then.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 06:12:19 AM »
Awesome shot, Randy!  I need a bike! 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:50 AM »
I just have to mount up the new rear tire for my daughter's bike and then I can sign it over to her. I jokingly asked her if I can scrub in her tires for her and get rid of the wanker strips. She said yes please! I told my wife to get the camera ready. I'll be heading to a local parking lot for some 2nd gear 20-25 mph knee dragging,,, with leathers of course. Some where waay down the road, I hope to be able to get my daughter to a track day on her B4, but not before I upgrade the suspension a bit. She has a lot to learn, and learning about an underpeforming suspension is part of it.

Lookin real good in that mix of BIGGER bikes Randy!  :thumb:
The little bike that can, and does!

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »
Great stuff.  I need a trackday badly.  Next one will probably be on the FZ1 though as I need tires for the B4 and there's other things in line for my money at the moment.  Nice pic.  I can't wait to put the B4 on the track.  I did a trackday on my DRZ400SM and it didn't even have the top end speed to do much of anything on the straights.  About 98mph and she's topped out.  I'd like to see how this 400 does out there.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:46:46 AM »
Just did a day at Thunderbolt, the AMA track in NJ. Never been there before and had a steep learning curve to overcome and a new track to learn. Certainly more of a HP track than Lightning.

I never did get comfortable with the track, it is much more technical than Lightning and required some hard acceleration as there was alot less momentum and flow to carry speed through. I'm sure others would argue but I had a really hard time coming to grips with it.

My friends with much more track experience on prepped SVs were able to keep up the little bike pride amongst the 600s-1000s and the sea of Ducs that came to play but I had nothing for them that day. Better to come home humbled than scuppered in pieces for sure. The Bandit was the smallest 4 stroke in the paddock that day, there was a 2 stroke here and there but they were race prepped and slick shodded.

There are some more flowy parts of the track such as turn 1 and 2, the chicane after the straight as well as a chicane before the straight that I was able to carry speed but I wished for a little more power to help in the point and shoot parts of the track. I actually bumped down a group because I couldn't keep up in the group I would normally ride in. It was alot of work to even ride in group 2 and I think I can say that I'm really starting to have to over-ride the bike to keep up.

Some good anyway:

-Brakes continue to work well, 4 pots and EBC HHs worked well all day.

-New steering damper helped out immensely. It would normally wag a bit when tossing it from side to side and under power heeled over but not anymore. Now it just stays planted where you put it.

-I wished I had rearsets but made do. They would certainly change the riding position to a more track-oriented setup but I think they'll come with a new bike.

-Bt016s are a great tire. From morning till the end of the day, all the traction I could want. They had more grip than I had balls this day. 3 track days and they still look good.

-The divider I put in the exhaust collector broadened the power of the pipe and helped immensely. Much more linear and still had the improved output of earlier, just not as abrupt. Power now comes on at 8k instead of 10k and still pulls to 14k. With the jetting I'm running, SVs can't run away on the straights anymore but they still have a better drive out of the corners. There's no replacement for displacement.

This last day is making me seriously consider a newer bike in the 600 range if I continue the direction I'm going. The Bandit is great for the street and more flowy momentum based tracks but in more technical places, it's a rolling chicane. If they had a smaller displacement trackday I'm sure it would do well at more technical tracks but I certainly had my ass handed to me this day.

Just didn't have the package to do well there against more track-based tack.

-Randy

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Great fun!!! :motorsmile:
I love the fact that you got to work the nads off the little B4 and everytime you go past them on the brakes it proper does their head in. Anyone can go past on the power and no matter how much you got you'll always want more.
I found tyres and suspension give most back at the track and after dialling mine in i got 3 seconds back. A picture of the B4 at the last TD i was at- big fun!!  :bigok:
Ran in the Novice, would normally go inters but was sold out and had no problem amoungst the bigger bikes.
http://trackdaydigitalimages.com/050910nro/pages/page_203.html
Chris.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:15:40 PM by Chris H »

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
Yeah, there was no going past on the brakes this day Chris, I have got to get the layout of the track down first before I do that. Maybe next year if I get a chance to go there again.

I worked on certain sections of the track and got them down but still have alot of work on the back part of the track before I can outbrake anyone but myself. Sometimes 15 minutes at a time just isn't enough to string things together. There's alot to think about in the 2.2 miles this place covers.

Had a weird feeling about the day and the few pics I saw show it. My body position isn't in the same as when I'm comfortable and I was riding a bit more tentative rather than loose. A bit better familiarity and more track time will help.

At least the bike worked the treat. Just wonder sometimes if some better machinery would help.

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
Awesome shot, Randy!  I need a bike! 
You still need a bike, I know someone selling a B4  :grin:
BTW good work tomacGTi working your bike out on the track...is your season done for fall?
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
Yeah Nathan, track season is done till next year.

There are a couple of dates left in October and November but I'm done. I was able to attend two this year which is a big deal as I can normally swing one financially. Made some improvements to both myself and the bike and am pretty happy with it all overall.

I think I can say that I have reached the potential of the bike for sure. I'm sure there's a little more in there, but not much more. Until I make some real money, the Bandit is hanging around though so I'm going to have to start saving for a new set of tires, some cush drive rubber and various other consumables for next year.

Hey man if you don't sell your bike, you could always make it a track whore! It won't be the fastest thing but I can assure you it's alot of fun. With the V&H pipe, you'll sound like you're going a million miles an hour anyway.

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »
No joke, even with new street baffles in it, it's loud haha.
I don't plan on making it into a track bike...unless there's no action at all...I'll just sit on it, install my fox shock and maybe do that.

Problem is I have a couple of fun cars that'd be easy to make into track fun-cars...but I guess making a bike into a track bike is cheaper....
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80