Author Topic: Upper Triple Tree without handlebar stands (GSX-R???)  (Read 4896 times)

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
Upper Triple Tree without handlebar stands (GSX-R???)
« on: November 07, 2005, 10:27:06 PM »
I recently converted my B4 to clip ons.  The upper triple looks bad because of the handlebar uprights.  Does anyone (Jay) have a GSX-R upper triple tree they are willing to sell or trade for a handle bar style upper triple tree?  

If not, does anyone know if the '85-87 GSX-R 750 triple tree has the same spacing and offsets?  There is one of those on Ebay.  I know the forks are 41 mm, but I am not sure about the offsets.

Thanks in advance.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 11:22:14 PM »
I bought an upper triple from a '89 Katana. I haven't installed it yet, but it looks like it should fit nicely. I got it on ebay for $20 bucks. I'll probably install it over the winter, if I don't buy a completely different front end...

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 12:14:57 AM »
hey Mike the upper clamp from a Katana won't work. the tub spacing is different than the lower bandit clamp. the Katana tube center line is about 3/16 of an inch narrower than the Bandits.  
Racerruss-ducati check ebay in England there is normally 1 or 2 for sale all the time and the spacing is the same as your lower clamps

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:26:33 AM »
When I lined the parts up, they did "look" like they'd fit. Oh, well. My heart is set on a USD front end anyways...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »
Suzuki gsxr 400 gk73 look in ebay UK should be cheap to ship i sold my old front end years agao to someone from this site, like 4 years maybe ago
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 09:43:56 AM »
I hated those empty towers on my top clamp too.  I ended up trading my Woodcrafts to a guy with an SV for his Suburban Machinery bars.  They give basically the same riding position with a good looking tubular bar.  The two problems with them IMO are:  1) if you go down, they're toast.  You can't just replace a tube like with clipons.  2)  They get in the way if you want to raise your forks.  There's virtually no clearance between the top of the clamp and the bottom of the bars right over the holes for the forks.  I would have rather done what you are trying to do by getting a new clamp.  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 11:30:16 AM »
There's a top triple from a Jap spec (or maybe Euro-spec ?) 400 Bandit on e-bay UK right now. Seller says he'll ship world wide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUZUKI-400-BANDIT-TOP-YOKE_W0QQitemZ8013250171QQcategoryZ10534QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1991 B4

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:08:50 PM »
Thanks all, I bought the one on Ebay UK.  Good to go now.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 10:41:31 PM »
Cool!  That looked like a smokin' good deal.   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 12:22:40 AM »
It wound up at about $50 with shipping, so I don't think it was too bad.  I hope it all fits up OK.

I will get some pictures up once I am done with the transition.  Working on turning the B4 into a decent track bike.  This is what I have done so far:

Previously mentioned clip ons
Self fabricated rearsets to move pegs back 2 inches and up 2 inches
(these two mods match the peg/seat/bar relationship of a 2005 GSXR and made the steering unbelievably quick and light)

2004 GSXR Airtech superbike upper and lower (lot of work, many support mods and fabricated parts were required, but I think it looks sweet even without paint)
Muzzy carbon slip on
Aluminum pegs
'01 GSXR shock and custom dogbones
Racetech springs / Maxima 15W fork oil

Still to do:
-  Need good tires (Pilot Powers or Pirellis, currently has Conti sport touring tires that seem to work good even on the track, but are not very cool!!)
Still might do:
-- No engine mods to date, but I didn't give up much (5 bike length on the longest straight) to the late model 600's at the last track day.  Equal to late model SV650s, so why spend the money???  Only advantage I can see is the endless hours of entertainment I will get in dialing the damn carbs in again.

I'll keep everyone posted as it goes.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 08:49:57 AM »
Quote from: "Racerruss-ducati"
It wound up at about $50 with shipping, so I don't think it was too bad.  I hope it all fits up OK.

I will get some pictures up once I am done with the transition.  Working on turning the B4 into a decent track bike.  This is what I have done so far:

Previously mentioned clip ons
Self fabricated rearsets to move pegs back 2 inches and up 2 inches
(these two mods match the peg/seat/bar relationship of a 2005 GSXR and made the steering unbelievably quick and light)

2004 GSXR Airtech superbike upper and lower (lot of work, many support mods and fabricated parts were required, but I think it looks sweet even without paint)

Muzzy carbon slip on
Aluminum pegs
'01 GSXR shock and custom dogbones
Racetech springs / Maxima 15W fork oil

Still to do:
-  Need good tires (Pilot Powers or Pirellis, currently has Conti sport touring tires that seem to work good even on the track, but are not very cool!!)
Still might do:
-- No engine mods to date, but I didn't give up much (5 bike length on the longest straight) to the late model 600's at the last track day.  Equal to late model SV650s, so why spend the money???  Only advantage I can see is the endless hours of entertainment I will get in dialing the damn carbs in again.

I'll keep everyone posted as it goes.

:worthless:

Just out of curiosity - why did you go with the 04 Gixer bodywork?  I've wondered what bodywork would be easiest.  I may borrow my buddy's 1G SV bodywork just to see how it matches up.  I'd love a little more detail on the fabrication you did - where you attached the braces and so forth.  Sounds like a great project.  I'm looking forward to hearing more.  Thanks for sharing!   :bigok:

You still have the stock forks (with the RT internals)?  If I ever turn my B4 into a dedicated track machine, I think I'll replace the forks even before I go with bodywork.  The single disc screws with my brain.  I'm always a little hesitant to brake late on 100mph+ straightaways.  

As far as the power is concerned, you're right but it would still be nice to have more.   :lol:  For me at least, to keep up with the modern 600s or even SVs, I have to lay back on the turn entrances and then try to carry more speed on the exit.  If I run right up on them at the entrance, they hold me up mid-turn and then power (WAY) away from me at the exit.  Of course, I'm running in a Beginner group where we can't pass in the turns.  If I could maintain my own pace through the turn and pass there, it would be quite different, I imagine.  

Anyway, please do keep us posted an get those pics up when you can.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 09:56:52 AM »
I mis-typed.  The bodywork is '01-'03 GSXR.  I chose it A) because it has the Suzuki look and B) it was on Ebay for about $200 new.

I put up a detailed description of the body conversion once I have it completed with pics of the brackets.  

I ride beginner as well, and like you, have to usually slow down for the bigger bikes in the corners.  I maybe have a little edge in experience because I have raced karts most of my life.  They only have about 15 hp, so carrying speed through the corners and being super smooth is required.  As for keeping up with the 600's and expecially the SV's, I am surprised you really lose them on the straights.  I know the SV's are only a few HP's higher than a stock B4 and I think they weigh more.  I weigh about 190, so looking at your pics, I don't think that is a big difference.  I do know that you have to really "ring its neck" to get power out of the B4, i.e. always above 10,000 rpm and it takes a lot of shifting.  There may be some differences in the tracks as well that make a bigger difference in the gap.

Oh well, I agree that more power is generally better, but just not yet.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 12:06:11 PM »
Stock SVS vs. stock B4 - almost identical in weight (within 5 lbs dry) and the SV wins the HP's by 16, 70 to 54 at the crank.  I'm only abt 170 (was 160 last year  :sad: ).  Really the only time I've run against an SV is my buddy's track bike on the back roads around here (he runs Advanced so we're not on the track together).  His bike is pretty hot: cams, jetted, full Akro...  pulls 79 on the dyno.  We can roll on together and he totally runs away from me every time.  

Yeah - I wring it's neck alright!  I'm actually going to try gearing up next season.  I've got a 44 tooth rear (stock SVS) to try.  I posted before that I've been bumping the rev limiter near the end of the straight at Pocono East.  I'm hoping to get a little extra breathing room with out another shift.  It may kill me powering out, tho.  We'll see.  

Dude - I need you to do my ebay shopping for me!  $50 for that top clamp and $200 for new race bodywork??  You da man!

We'll have to try to ride together next season.  I'm hoping to get at least one day at VIR.  Maybe we could hook up there.  

(Sorry for the epic posts!)
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 03:44:39 PM »
I plan to get in at least 2 NESBA days next year.  I am going to shoot for at least one on the VIR North track.  I was also thinking about pulling up to Summit.  I will have to see how broke I am (damn kids) on those weekends before I fully commit.

Later
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »
Yeah - I got that whole broke because of the kids thing going on too!  

I will definitely be at Summit next year.  BTW - don't go there late in Oct.  The deer are in the rut... one of the NESBA control riders thumped one on the Jefferson course a couple weeks ago.  Busted him up pretty good!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7