Author Topic: Tapping Clutch, Frayed Cable. Related?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tapping Clutch, Frayed Cable. Related?
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »
My clutch has been making a tapping noise for a while now, and today I noticed my clutch cable is pretty frayed and almost ready to snap. :shock: Are these related?

I ordered a new cable, but unfortunately I have to wait a week for a B4 cable. Can I use a B6 (or other) cable on a B4, or do I have to wait the week for this thing? :sad:

Is the condition of the cable related to the sound of the clutch, or am I looking at two different things here? I'm not feeling anything slip, but shifting is feeling notchy, and it's almost impossible to hit neutral at a stop. Sometimes if I'm in first stopped, I can't shift at all until I start moving.

Thanks for any info on this.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 05:09:24 PM »
what kind of tapping noise? when you pull the clutch in? or when you're slipping it? more details on the noise please

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »
a trick to shift it into neutral: give a little throttle and while it's around 3k, then try to shift it. Just keep the clutch in.
Should work
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 04:50:08 AM »
I don't know if the B6 cable is the same, or similar enough to work or not, but you'd probably have to wait a week for it, too. Might as well get the part you know is right in that case.

Without seeing/hearing the problem and just going by what you type, I'm leaning to the idea of two separate issues. While you're waiting for a cable, you could pop the clutch cover off and take a look and the condition of things.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:55:26 AM »
Seperate issue. Pop the cover and start looking around.
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:26:35 PM »
Thanks for your replies. The tapping noise happens most at idle. If you pull the clutch in (while stopped, in neutral), the sounds almost disappears. In gear it sounds lower, although I'm not sure if it's just being masked by the sound of the engine revving.

When the clutch cable comes in I'm gonna have the shop guys look at it. Just figured it may have been somethig common. Hopefully it's not anything that's gonna co$t.