Author Topic: 600 Bandit Forks  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
600 Bandit Forks
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »
Well, my forks are a bit pitted and i was thinking about getting them re-chromed.

But a mate has mentioned that he has a set of 600 bandit forks lying around that i could use on my bike.  So, how hard would it be to put the 600 forks on?  Would i need new caliper, disc, wheel etc?

Does anyone know if the stanchions in a 600 bandit fork are a different size to the 400 ones?  Because if they were the same size i could take the stanchions from the 600 forks and put them in the 400 ones.

Thanks  :motorsmile:
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
600 Bandit Forks
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »
B6 is 41mm - isn't that the same as a B4?

I know the whole thing will swap (calipers, discs, axle, wheel & legs). I don't know how well you can mix & match.

Perhaps he'll let you try it out and see?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
600 Bandit Forks
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:39:32 PM »
Hey Forde,
Both forks are 41mm, so that won't be a problem, but you have a few other things to consider. I don't know if you have a single disc model with regular handlebars or a dual disc model with clip ons. All the comparisons I know are with the NA market single disc model.
- The B6 forks are shorter than the B4 forks, I forget how much, so you will change the steering geometry (faster steering).
- the stock B4 caliper has different mounting bolt spacing than the B6, so you will need to replace that
- is the rotor diameter of the B6 the same as your B4? If not you will need to change rotors.
- is the distance between the forks the same on a B6 as your B4? if not, the discs will not be in the middle of the caliper travel.
- are the dimensions of the axle the same? If not you will need a B6 axle for which you may or may not be able to get bearings to fit your wheel.
- changing just the stanchion tubes may or may not work, you really have to take them apart to see. I have had forks from 3 or 4 different Suzukis apart, and all were mutually non-interchangable, but you may have better luck.
If you decide to go through with it, let us know what you find out.
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
600 Bandit Forks
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
Thanks guys

Ive actually come across a guy selling a set of B4 forks.  They are from an import whereas i have the single disc UK model with the regular handlebars.  I am now just thinking about buying the import forks and taking the stanchions out of them and replacing my pitted ones with them.

From the look of this thread if i got B6 forks with a B6 brake rotor, caliper, and wheel then that would bolt right in.  Could be interesting for someone to try for sure as those parts can be had cheap on fleabay.  I might consider it myself.
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline meehacker

• Board Regular!
600 Bandit Forks
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 08:24:13 AM »
I have fork parts in good shape off my 91 b400.  Send me a PM if you are interested in buying.  Let me know what you need and I'll quote you a very fair price.