Author Topic: Woohoo, got my old b4 back!  (Read 5004 times)

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
Woohoo, got my old b4 back!
« on: February 14, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
I picked this b4 up for a steal a few years ago sitting in a co-worker's garage relatively unused.  He said it didn't run and didn't have the time to fool with it.  Dropped a new battery in it and she fired up.  Didn't run really great but it ran.  It had a few issues to take care of but nothing big.  Then my job moved me to Cleveland and I needed a quick cash infusion and couldn't find the way to transport 3 bikes, so the Bandit had to go.  I had a friend who'd been very interested in the bike and threw cash on the table to cover what I'd paid for the bike plus the battery.

I really regretted not having a street bike up there to ride the twisties on, but ended up quitting that job and moving back to Texas a year later.  A few months ago my friend decided to sell the Bandit as he hadn't hardly ridden it since buying it.  I managed to coax him into waiting till tax return season and selling it back to me.  So today I went and paid him what he'd given me for the bike a few years ago, minus the cost of the battery since it needs a new one.   :grin:

Still has the same issues it had before so I'll pick up where I left off.

Here she is....in the old pictures.  It's too friggin cold and windy right now to pull her back out of the garage for new shots when she looks just the same.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: Woohoo, got my old b4 back!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:26 AM »
Wow! Hey Congratulations!  Looks like she's a nice healthy specimen!  :thumb:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
I picked this b4 up for a steal a few years ago...Dropped a new battery in it and she fired up.  I had a friend...threw cash on the table to cover what I'd paid for the bike plus the battery...So today I went and paid him what he'd given me for the bike a few years ago, minus the cost of the battery since it needs a new one.

This sounds like something a TV writer would come up.  How many times can the same bike and pile of cash pass between you and your friends?  I'm waiting for you to post about how your long-lost twin shows up, on an identical bike!

OK, pardon my humor and accept my congratulations on being reunited (and it feels so good) with your sweet B4!

2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »
Ha ha ha, you'd be very surprised.  The guy that had my bandit used to have a TLS.  He started putting feelers out there to see if he could sell/trade it.  Another of our friends that we do trackdays with was looking for another TLS and had a nicely modded DRZ400SM, so they worked a trade.  Later the guy who now had the TLS was looking to get rid of his old Tuono and was thinking Supermoto again.  They ALMOST worked a trade out but after a week of testing the swap, both decided to keep their bikes.

We all joke that we each have the first right of refusal on each others bikes.

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »
Jason, that looks like a Supertrapp slip-on. If it is, how do you like it, and how many disks are you runningand are you running a jet kit with that?
I just bought a 91 B4 and am slowly prepping it for my daughter's birthday this July. {Surprise}

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »
It is a supertrapp, and it sounds pretty good.  Honestly, I haven't ridden the bike since early 2007 so I can't say for sure as I don't remember much and I only had the bike for a short period of time.  The supertrapp was on there when I got it and I never got the chance to open it up and see how many disks are in use.  It also came with a few boxes of parts that I have to sort out including another exhaust as well which I can't remember what it is.

As the weather warms up, and my garage with it, I'll be tinkering to get it back running and checking over stuff and fixing what needs fixing.  I'm sure I'll crack it open and count the disks to see, might play with that and the other exhaust.  I'll be sure to report my findings as I do.

That'll be an awesome birthday present for your daughter.  I have a Yamaha FZ1 as well, so this'll be something for me to play with, ride to work when the FZ is down for maintenance, play on the track with and most importantly, to teach my wife to ride on.  We'll see if she get's bit by the motorcycle bug.

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
Tabby, I took about five minutes last night with some tools to open up and look at a few things.  I have no experience with a supertrapp muffler like this one.  I'm guessing the disks are inside as compared to being on the end like I'm used to seeing.  I have no idea how to get into it except drill the rivets on the end of the can.  Any ideas?  I might not end up delving into that for a while then.

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »
Looks just like mine. Even have supertrapp on mine. I didn't even know you could open them. Wife says its way to loud. Id like to know how to look inside also.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 05:14:43 PM »
Hope the bike is still as sweet as in the picture, real tidy. :thumb:
Dont think its a disc type can, think they also made a normal one as arnt the discs on the end?

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
Tabby, I took about five minutes last night with some tools to open up and look at a few things.  I have no experience with a supertrapp muffler like this one.  I'm guessing the disks are inside as compared to being on the end like I'm used to seeing.  I have no idea how to get into it except drill the rivets on the end of the can.  Any ideas?  I might not end up delving into that for a while then.

Rivets?? That's odd.   My Trapp was the older exposed style. The internal ones are supposed to be adjustable too, typically with 8 disks from the factory. They ship them out noise compliant. You adjust from there. You could take a chance and drill the rivets out, or, give them a call/e-mail, and give them a good description. A typical street Trapp will have a 1 3/4" ID core along with the disks. I called a few years ago and asked how many disks equalled the flow rate of the muffler itself. On that core dia. I was told about 21-22 disks.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:38:27 AM »

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »
Check those rivets again, they might be button head, allen socket cap screws. Standard 4" series disks, have 6 screws holding them in, and the end cap must come off to make changes. If they indeed are rivets, I wonder if that muffler might be some kind of Euro version that isn't allowed to be adjusted, but can be if you take the law into your own hands. That muffler also looks like 19" version compared to a 16"er. My Trapp had a 16", which was on the loud side when you ran more disks. I still have my complete system for my GSXR, but the pipe has fatigue cracked at the primary tube/collector junction. I'll get it repaired some day.

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
Wow, this board might be a little on the slow side...but that's to be expected considering the small number of these bikes out there...but you guys come at me with great info.

I just went and checked.  Yup, rivets.  No biggie, when I start playing with the exhaust, I've got rivets and a rivet gun already.  Previous owner must have done that because in my supertrapp box, along with a D&D pipe, I've got six dirty nasty supertrapp disks.  Which leads me to believe that it's got two in there.  Hrm....interesting stuff indeed.

Oh yea, and I took the tape measure to it and it is indeed the 19" variety.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
Ye, not to mension the time difference between the US and the UK!!

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
Started tearing into stuff yesterday.  I remember now where my headache lies.  Seems that for some reason the air box lid is warped slightly and doesn't fit well to the bottom.  There's some small rust in the gas tank...ugh.  Got that pulled apart, emptied and evaporating so I can work on that this weekend.  Other stuff looks pretty good still though.  Battery definitely isn't holding a charge, so I will definitely be needing a new one of those.  Can't wait to get her running again.

Oh yea, pulled one of the plugs.  It has a CR9EK and was dark flat brown.  Looking at the manual it says it should be running the hotter CR8EK, and the brown says I should be looking at the 8 as well.  Lots to do, so little time.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:54:09 PM by gixxerjasen »