Author Topic: Zero Spark  (Read 6893 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Zero Spark
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 01:09:48 AM »
get an impact driver. Every motorcycle owner should have an impact driver. Oh and a set of e-z outs for when you break the darn things. And a nice comprehensive set of metric bolts, screws, nuts, washers, etc.

If it's truly broken, then yes it would cause no spark. YOu say it indicates "1" on the meter. What is the other possibility? YOu can short the two leads together and see what that reads. That will tell you what a short looks like. And leaving the leads hanging in the air will tell you what a broken wire looks like on the things. Either one is bad for a pickup coil. Oh, you could also read the manual that came with the tester...  :duh:

hope that part gets you rolling!

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
The manual is not very helpful at all; anyway I have gathered that '1' equals an open circuit, which is exactly what I am getting when I measure the pickup. I have ordered a new one, so hopefully that will cure my 'zero spark' problem. I will let you know how I get on.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
Which side cover did you take off sitting on the bike right or left?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:16 PM »
Left.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
After you measure it's time to visually check the wiring. Try pulling at the cables where they come out of the engine. If one is broken you will pull it out. If that's the case you can remove the engine cover, take out the pickup and solder the wires back together.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 02:33:52 PM »
After you measure it's time to visually check the wiring. Try pulling at the cables where they come out of the engine. If one is broken you will pull it out. If that's the case you can remove the engine cover, take out the pickup and solder the wires back together.
common fault with the wire wipping in the wind
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 02:09:38 PM »
Well I got the pickup today and a kind chappie in a garage near me helped me get out those troublesome screws and install the thing.

Got home and 15 minutes later started her up and she is now as happy as larry!  :bigok:

Thanks for all you help guys, as usual you helped me pinpoint the problem and saved me a loada cash!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
 :beers: glad you're back on the road quickly. It took me weeks to narrow it down to the pickup coil when it happened to me.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.