Author Topic: 2000 1200S Clutch problems, carb problems, etc.  (Read 33426 times)

Offline mpatrick

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 2000 1200S Clutch problems, carb problems, etc.
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »
Only if i can get 6 months no interest.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2012, 05:47:38 PM »
Well if you get the loan from a Greek bank in 6 months they'll owe you! Let us know how it goes.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »
Well if you get the loan from a Greek bank in 6 months they'll owe you!

NO, No, youv'e got it backwards...that's how they handle debt...loans will be all the interest, plus 155% debt added to the loan on every new bailout.

They will have to pay back the ECB Somehow!   :motorsmile:
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
I got a good tip for you on an update to the poor man's sync:

Ok after a great deal of pain and suffering I finally got the extender on carb number 2 finally. It's now super easy to sync the bike up and I want to share a little tip with you guys which really helps out the smoothness alot. Since this guage is so accurate you can also fine tune your mixture screws as well. As we all know there will be microscopic machining differences, slide spring tension blah blah blah. Needless to say every cylinder will be just slightly different than the next. What you should do before the sync is go for a low throttle cruise around town, no full throttle 1/4 mile burnouts, etc ,etc just a nice leisurely cruise under 1/8th throttle to make sure the plugs are being coloured mostly with the cruise or pilot mixtures. This way when you take a look at them, you'll notice that some of them might be a little richer or leaner than others. Make a note. For instance my number 2 cylinder is a little richer than all the others which are very close to one another.

When you're syncing the pairs and have them pull nicely together at idle put a little pressure on the throttle and bring up the rpm a few hundred rpm, say to 1500 or 1600 or so an look at which cylinder is pulling more now. So you look at the super expensive top of the line guage you made and realize. "Hey when I give it a little throttle, number 2 pulls more, then they are the same when I release the throttle WTF!!!!!!". The reason for this is as the rpms come up slightly the mixture will lean out a bit, the cylinder which is slightly richer won't lean out as much and have slightly more power than the one that is leaner. So you have 2 options:

1. You can richen up the leaner cylinder to match the richer one
2. Lean out the richer one to match the leaner one

What your trying to do is pick the best out of the pair. Since my number 2 cylinder had a bit of soot on the base ring and my number 1 cylinder plug looked perfect I leaned out the richer one so that when light(I'm talking just pressure)throttle was applied, they were now pulling up together in sync. Just be careful of the mixture screws, especially with the accuracy of the guage, doesn't need much turning at all I think I turned like less than 1/8th of a turn more like 1/12th or some other fraction I can't calculate. A good way to test if all the pistons are pulling the same is to move along in first gear just above idle at like 1500 or something insane. A slight downhill may help here, you can actually at this low speed feel the pistons power pulses. If there is a slight push every once and a while and it's not smooth than chances are the cylinders are pushing at different power rates, governed by the mixture screws at that level. In my case I had a cylinder rich, but if you had a cylinder that was lean it would still do it, though maybe not as noticeable(check the plugs). In this way you can get a hyper accurate sync probably way better than any bouncy ass dial. Remember this is only for the slow speed/less than 1/8th of a throttle sync, which is where you're going to feel smoothness or roughness. At higher rpm/throttle, it doesn't matter as much although I would wager that having all the cylinders mixtures super close together is going to make the bike at ALL rpms ranges smoother.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline mpatrick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
Well damn. Got home last night pulled into the garage shut off the bike, smelled gas. I was thinking there is no way in hell this thing is running rich with the new exhaust. So I pulled the plugs they all show lean, # 1 was still kinda dark down low but not as bad earlier. So I look at the overflow tubes of the carbs they are a little wet at the tips. Started the bike and they just start dripping like crazy. I rechecked the float heights with a tube on the drain of the float bowls they are all the same.  So my guess is the damn needle valve or seat has given up on one or more carbs. I'm still waiting on the damn rebuild kits its been almost 3 weeks already. I really hate driving my truck, I just want this damn bike to run without problems. Ok vent over.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
Any idea when those rebuild kits are coming? If you want you could raise the float height a mm or two to compensate. Not the greatest solution but it would drive down the road.

Offline mpatrick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »
Just got off the phone with the supplier and they said they were going out the door today, so we'll see. If they do go out today I will have them tomorrow, as its 1 day ground shipping from them to me. I am pretty pissed about the whole thing really, it should not take 3 weeks to receive something that is in stock. Whatever you do do not buy from powersportssuperstore.com, they may be cheap but really flaky.

If my truck didn't get 13mpg I'd be driving up there right now to pick up the damn kits.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:39:44 PM by mpatrick »

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
I hear you man, even jetted I'm still getting around 40mpg mixed driving or so if I'm light on the throttle. I topped up my tank yesterday from just hitting reserve for 16.60, the gigantic SUV next to me.....$118! I could probably drive a couple of months on that going just to work and back.

Ive had great results with www.bikebandit.com they ship to Canada and I've ordered a bunch of parts from them and never seen them take more than a week. Maybe next time give them a shot. I don't think your saving too much but it's a no bullshit transaction and parts exchange. I even got parts for my 84 GS750EF still in the original packaging!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:46:55 PM by rider123 »

Offline mpatrick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
I ordered my tires and a few misc. stuff from bike bandit and they were great. Its just that all 4 carb kits came out to $55 with powersportsuperstore and more like $100 on bike bandit, or anywhere else.

Well I started it up last night ran it around the neighborhood and there was no fuel coming out of the overflows, so I rode it in to work this morning still no leak. Maybe it fixed itself?

Oh $17 to fill up the bike $95 to fill up the truck, its terrible.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
Was your tank filled up to the tits? Maybe your petcock diaphram spring is a little weak and is not holding back the niagra falls of fuel delivery and it's creating seeping on your carbs. If you also put it on the side stand, Number 1 and 2 carbs will get all the fuel in the floats and fuel line pooling there which may seep it a bit. Park the bike on the centre stand next time for fun and see if the seeping or weeping goes away. If you can save those rebuild kits for when you really need them it would be a bonus. It also could be condensation when the hot engine and warm carbs cool it will create condensation on the metalic parts.

As far as vehicles go my Bandit is the only thing I drive. In the winter I usually just take the streetcar or subway. It sucks balls but at least it will get you there. I'm pretty jihad-like when it comes to riding in the winter. Usually I ride right up untill the second or third snowfall and am usually one of the first in the spring to be out the door. If this global warming stuff is real, which I hope, then I'm going to see about welding 2 coal powered Humvees in the backyard on a treadmill running 24 hours a day so I can get to ride all year. I'm sold on global warming I want it, how can I do my part? They keep saying it's comming and comming but the more I actually do any research on it the more it looks like bullshit and a way to squeeze more tax money out of the gulable. It's like a modern day snake oil sales pitch. Also climategate I and II leaked emails didn't help, but I wasn't suprised after doing my own research.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:58:06 AM by rider123 »

Offline mpatrick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:11 AM »
1/4 tank. Side stand/Center stand no difference. I'm not gonna worry about it until I pull the carbs to rejet, hopefully tomorrow.
 Oh I rode it no baffle it was so damn loud. My uncle rode it and I could hear him like 2 blocks away. I think i'm gonna leave it with the baffle, I think it still sounds good and mean.
Do you think I really need a K&N or can I get away with the airbox mod for now. I sure it will run a bit rich, but that's better than lean right.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
Well the jet size is designed for a K&N and a open exhaust with no baffle. However it will still work as you can adjust it enough with the pilots and shims to make it drive for like %75 of what your doing normally. Only the top end will be rich, I wouldn't worry too much about it, just know you may be losing a few ponies upstairs due to the slightly richer mixture. You'll probably be a point or two above what would be perfect but you can just pop the K&N on there later. If you're worried, order a set of 122.5's and 125's and experiment with them. Driving around slightly rich upstairs isn't going to do any harm, in fact thanks for contributing to global warming! I'm glad you're doing your part, now could you kindly start some tire fires in your backyard? It's cold up here.  :grin:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:50:47 PM by rider123 »

Offline mpatrick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »
What I'll do for you is load up the bed of my truck with tires set them on fire and drive around.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
Thats even better!! Thanks!! Not only are you driving the gas guzzler, but you're spreading the love around town! You philanthropist you!  :stickpoke: I'll turn my mixture screws out a 1/4 turn in your honour!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:56:27 PM by rider123 »

Offline mpatrick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »
Well I got impatient and re jetted without the rebuild kits, 127.5 main, 35 pilots, 3 1/4 turns out. The bike seems to be great at >1/4 throttle, runs like a bat out of hell. Down low I still got some surge, and the decel pop is still there. I did add the extra hole to the airbox, I wonder if I went too far. I pulled the plugs when I got to work this morning, I have a sooty base ring but the metal tip is pretty light colored. Tips, please.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:53:54 AM by mpatrick »