Author Topic: Chain problem?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« on: February 02, 2006, 07:44:06 PM »
OK...I've got one.  I don't know exactly how to describe it so here goes...

I thought I should adjust my chain a while back.  I did so and it seemed way to tight and started a "thrumming" that would increase with speed.  I adjusted the chain back and the problem persisted.  It's a feeling very similar to the back wheel going over small bumps spaced about a second apart at takeoff and stops (being noticable?) at about 40mph.  I visually inspected the rear sproket and it looks OK.  The chain is pretty well taken care of.  I've been cleaning it with a suitable cleaner and re-lubing.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe the chain ISN'T in good condition physically, even though it looks alright, and that one of the links isn't moving properly causing it to stick when going around one or both sprokets.  I'm riding tomorrow so I'll try and give a better description maybe with pics but does anything spring to mind?

Thanks!
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:32:50 PM »
Check the marks on the swingarm for proper alignment.  This sounds like a problem my friend had and I found that to be his problem.  He was one mark off and didn't realize it.  Count them from the end of the arm.
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 02:12:22 PM »
I checked and there are 5 marks on both sides...one side may be 1/16" or even 1/32" off.  Would that be enough, do you think?
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Chain problem?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:12:52 PM »
Would this be a good time to check wheel alignment using twine?  I know a couple guys who swear by that method.  I'm not sure I really believe those swingarm marks are all that precise (not that I'm saying the twine is precise, but it's a crossreference to the marks).
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:18:52 PM »
Can't hurt, right?  I remeber seeing a write-up about that somewhere.  I'll try a search too.

Thanks!
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 06:51:32 PM »
I wouldn't go by those marks on the swingarm. Mine are off 1 1/2 spaces on my B6. I use the ruler out of my combination square and a pair of vise grips and clamp the ruler to the sprocket to check alignment. Its a little hard to see but its cheap and works for me.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 11:02:05 PM »
Once y ou get the rear wheel properly aligned put a punch mark on one flat of the adjuster bolt head on each side of the bike.  Then you can adjust each side equally in future adjustments.  

Good chain alignment results in longer chain and sprocket life in my experience.  My Bandit 1200 has had only three adjustments in 23K miles, one at 2500 (initial), one at 11K and the last at 22K.  In each case the adjustment was one "flat" or 1/6 of a turn for a total of 1/2 turn so far.

A Scott Oiler probably helps a bit too, I've had it since about 400 miles.

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »
I'm putting my money on sticky links.  How old is your chain, btw?

Move the rear wheel all the way forward, then start working each link back and forth until you find a stubborn one.  I resurrected a particularly sticky spot with Bel Ray chain lube, and managed another few thousand miles on it before replacing it.  It was making a clacking type noise as the bad links were passing over the front sprocket.  I could feel it in my left boot, and it was irritating as hell!  Actually thought it might have been engine knock at one point...

I would think that if the rear wheel were out of line, you would only feel it tracking a little strangely, and feel some goofiness in a turn. :?:
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"
2005-ish 47cc Cagllari "Balzac"

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 10:24:10 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if a chain would wear evenly? But they don't. For a number of reasons, different parts of the chain wear unevenly. This causes "loose" and "tight" spots on the chain, and depending on where they are in relation to the sprokets, you will have tight and loose spots on the rotation of the rear wheel.

If you adjust the chain where it is the loosest, it will be too tight on other parts of the rotation, this is normally the cause of the "thrumming" you described. The Chain is in fact too tight. Even though you readjusted the chain, you still may have it too tight.

The other description people here are describing is one or more links of the chain being sticky or bound up. This can happen due to damage to a link (eg: hit by a rock, etc) or similar. Either way, the link no longer moves freely, causing a similar effect.

1. Fully clean the chain and look for sticky or damaged links as others have described.
2. Adjust the chain so it has the correct clearance on its "tightest" part of the wheel rotation.

If these don't correct your problem, or if the chain has severe "tight" and "loose" spots, it's time to consider replacing the chain.

There is an outside chance (somewhat unlikely) that during the time the chain was too tight, that you have damaged a wheel bearing, which is what you are feeling now.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 08:39:47 AM »
Quote from: "ttewejnodnarb"
I checked and there are 5 marks on both sides...one side may be 1/16" or even 1/32" off.  Would that be enough, do you think?

YES!
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »
This might be an unusual way to align a chain but I've used it often. Assuming that a misaligned sprocket will cause the chain to enter and leave it either left or right, you can center stand the bike and turn the wheel to see how the chain mounts the sprocket. It should enter at the center and stay that way as the wheel turns. I notice that, if I intentionally misadjust it, the chain link edges will hug the sprocket metal. Works for me and good for a quick visual as well. YMMV.
Marc/Atlanta

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 11:15:06 AM »
Thanks all!

I don't remember the exact date/milage the prevoius owned had "new chain" written in the notes section of the manual but I do remember thinking it wasn't that long ago.  I've cleaned the chain a number of times with Motorex chain cleaner 611 and Motorex chain lube 622.  I don't know if I like it but seams to be a quality product.

LS,

You just described EXACTLY what I'm feeling.  I think you've hit the nail on the head.  I'll have to look into it.

I'm going to check aligment anyway and hope that it's not a wheel bearing.   I did rotate the wheel to try and find the tightest part before I adjusted it last but I don't know how successful I was.

Does anyone have a trick to finding the tightest part?
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
Chain problem?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 02:16:37 PM »
Quote from: "ttewejnodnarb"

Does anyone have a trick to finding the tightest part?

I'd just move the rear wheel all the way forward so you can get enough slack to work each link through its full range of motion.  Hit it with some kerosene and a tooth brush, then some chain treatment.  I worked on a spot for a good 5-10 minutes to get it to loosed up enough to comfortably ride back to Iowa City from Road America last summer.
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"
2005-ish 47cc Cagllari "Balzac"