Author Topic: Delayed throttle response  (Read 10743 times)

Offline bronzeback

• Board Regular!
Re: Delayed throttle response
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 08:57:03 AM »
#1 looks like the tank vent hose?
#2 I think is an accessory plug, believe my 01 B12 has one dangling there too
#3 Looks like the vaccum line for the petcock that someone plugged up?

Or if the vaccum line is coming off another carb and going to the petcock like it's supposed to then I'd guess someone lost the synch port plug and made a "plug" with a piece of hose and a screw driver bit.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:17:24 AM by bronzeback »

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
Tank vent hoses are located toward the rear of the tank - that first pic almost looks like the vacuum line to the petcock.  You'll have to pull your tank and see what's under there.

The dangling connector is usually the carb heater connector found on Canadian models I believe - I have one on my B12 also.

The others look like some sort of carb sync extension hoses (although too short to be of any real value) and a homemade cap.

Based on these pics I'd double check all vacuum line connections and make sure there's not a leak somewhere.  Pull the tank (good time to check the air filter too) and if necessary take more pictures. 

Glad you got the attachments to work for ya.  :thumb:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »
Sorry, txbanditryder, the attachments still do not work. I just used imageshack when I got home  :grin:

On topic, so i tore down my tank & carbs last night, what a mess. Whoever worked on it previously has done such a shitty job. I think the guy screwed up the hoses.

*The dangling hose is actually from the PAIR unit & it is supposed to connect to the homemade screwdriver bit plug.

*One of the tank vent hose that goes to the back of the bike might be from another bike as it actually splits into 2 when it goes back, lol

*I removed the plugs & they look OK, no dark coloring but not too white either.

*The air filter is dirty & I am just going to get a new one from the stealer, about time I retire that 9 year old unit.

I dont know if that dangling hose not being connected to the correct spot in the carb is causing my issue, I will start the carb clean tomorrow & find out when I put everything back together.

On a side note, IT WAS A &@#ing PAIN IN THE ASS TO REMOVE THE THROTTLE CABLE FROM THE CARB!!!! Why couldn't they make it even little bit friendly. I am dreading putting it back together.

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 01:36:27 PM »
I just took a pic of the plugs, let me know what you think.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
Those plugs look decent enough... better than the ones I just replaced with 26k miles on them.

That PAIR valve hose concerns me.... you may have some vacumn issues caused by mis-routing or a bad plug job. 

Do you have a factory manual to verify routings and connections???  Keep the pics coming... we'll figure this out yet.   :thumb:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
Yepp, I got the factory manual by doing a random search on google. My dangling hose is the vacum hose for the PAIR unit as shown in the pic.

Kinda sucks if this is what is the issue as I removed the whole freaking carb. Oh well since its out, I might as well clean it.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 05:37:36 PM by arshishb »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »
Not sue how the 600 routes its vacuum, but on my B12, the PAIR's vacuum hose and the petcock's vacuum hose tee'd together and plugged into the #4 carb. (I don't think it really matters which carb you use, as long as the other 3 are securely capped off.)

Seems like the PO got which hoses went where all mixed up when they had the tank off at some point and just threw it together with a series of bad guesses. 

Labels, pictures and/or a good shop manual can be your friends when you're doing something unfamiliar.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
In the 600, the tank vacum hose connects to carb 4 & the PAIR vacum hose connects to carb 3, for whatever reason they made it separate, I am going to keep it that way so that I have everything to factory spec. Hopefully the bike will just "work" after that.

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »
Quick question: I found out that the AF screw was set to 3 turns out. Should I keep that or change it back to factory spec? Or any other amount for that matter?

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »
Not sure what factory spec is on your bike but the important thing is they're all equal.

For a baseline I'd start with factory settings IF you are putting everything else back to factory settings including jets/needles.  You have to start somewhere.  If the A/F screws have already been drilled out it's possible that some sort of jet kit has already been installed.
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
Unfortunately there is no way for me to tell if there is a jet kit or not, I think there is one but can't say for certain. I will have to contact the PO who will have to contact his PO to find out. The guys before me just owned the bike for 2 weeks & did nothing to do it.

Anyway I am going to start with the factory settings & see how it goes. As it is I am getting shitty mileage, max 45 MPG when I have heard people get 50-55 mpg in stock trim. Which is why I bought this bike in the first place.

EDIT: I just versified with the service manual, the carb components are stock. & they state the AF screw to be 1 3/4 turn out instead of the 3 turns that I had. This is getting interesting.

EDIT 2: My bad, for US bike it is 1 7/8 & for the others it was 1 3/4.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:36:07 PM by arshishb »

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »
3 vs. 1-3/4????......    :eek2:   .... and stock jetting to boot??????   :duh:

At least you now know there are some serious [but resolvable] issues... keep the info coming.  :trustme:
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
Ok so we have some news. Before I start, I want to say

F*** you Suzuki :gatlin I have owned a number of I4 bikes including a 1997 B12 but NEVER have I found it so difficult to remove the throttle cable AND put it back on the carb, I almost gave up.

Anyway, I zipped everything back up, this time I connected the PAIR vacum hose as it was supposed to be. I started her up & let her warm up. Once warm, there was a night and day difference in throttle response at stand still. NO DELAY!

I am going to relax for a few & then head out for a test ride & I will let you know what happens.

One thing though, may be an effect of the PAIR system, the revs don't "drop" as quick as before when you let go of the throttle.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
 :popcorn2: :popcorn2: :popcorn2:
 ^               ^
 ^               ^
 ^               ^
 ^ (beer)....  ^ (smoked bacon-wrapped jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese)

Standing by for further updates...   :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:24:52 PM by txbanditrydr »
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
So here are the changes made:

* Changed AF screw from 3 turns to 1 7/8 turns
* The float height was set at approx 22-23 mm, I changed to 17 mm as per factory spec
* Re connected the PAIR vacum hose to carb 3
* New air filter

Results:

Well for one, it revs a LOT easier. There is no throttle delay or lag pto 5 K RPM so thats a very good sign. Around town riding is a breeze now.

Highway riding sucks balls. Anything above 5K RPM & I experience that same shitty "delay". Though it is much less now but it is still there.

I will take for my commute tomorrow & see how the MPG fairs. I am now getting tired of this.