Author Topic: Delayed throttle response  (Read 10740 times)

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
Delayed throttle response
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:55:02 AM »
Hi guys, I am the new owner of a 2000 B6 that I bought 3 days ago as a replacement for my stolen CBR600. I will eventually get a track/race only CBR but for now I needed a simple motorcycle to commute on & buy groceries :D

My bike is 100% stock with 4800 miles. It is very cold blooded & takes a while to warm up but thats not the issue. The issue is that at any throttle input, the response is very "delayed", get what I mean? Say I am at 5K Rpm & I gently roll on the throttle. I dont expect the bike to blast off but I expect the engine to respond to my wrist, however as of now it takes a second or 2 for the bike to realize what I am asking it to do & only then do I get any response. This has made passing really annoying, even when I drop gears its the same.

I have run seafoam for 2 tanks but that hasnt made much of a differnce. I have read that a jet kit really wakes up the bike but thats not what I want, I am OK with the stock power, I just need it to respond when I ask it to!

If anyone can point me in the right direction for this, I will appreciate it. I did use search but there was no specfic info related to my issues.

EDIT: Just want to say this happens no matter how long the engine has been running. So its not a case of a cold engine.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Delayed throttle response
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
Just some random thoughts before more knowledgeable folks show up - and in order of simplicity....

Check the air filter and replace if necessary - 4,800 miles is not a lot but 9 years is.

Pull the plugs and check the color... if they are dark and sooty you could be running rich (dirty air filter?) or similar.

You may have some crud in the carbs that Seafoam won't get rid of... might be time to pull them and clean things out - sounds like the bike may have sat for quite a while with gas in it.  There's a decent guide in the download section for a Stage One Jet Kit that can guide you through removal, disassembly and cleaning even if you don't re-jet.

Good luck and keep us posted on your finding.

BTW -  :welcome: to BanditAlley... glad to have ya!!
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
Also check the condition of the vacuum diaphragms on the carb tops and look for vacuum leaks.  Spray a little starter fluid around suspect areas with the engine running and if the rpm's change, you found a leak.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »
Thanks guys, the PO claimed that its been "serviced" but I should have known better. Thanks for the valuable insight, will try to get to it over the weekend & see what I can find.

I also noticed that there is a open ended hose hanging from the right side of the tank, I will take pics & post them here soon. Looking fwd to get this sorted so that I have a clean running bike!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:07:44 PM »
If anyone can point me in the right direction for this, I will appreciate it. I did use search but there was no specfic info related to my issues.

Try opening up the float bowl screws and draining them, you may be surprised what ends up in the container. Attach a rubber hose first mind.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »
Once you get it sorted. definitely rejet the 600. While the 1200 is lean from factory, the 600 is even more so. I got my wife's B6 jetted at the dealer, and it does make a big diff to warming her up and a little in performance. No more choke applied for over 1 minute!. Jet with stage 1 even with stock pipe - recommended!
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »
Once you get it sorted. definitely rejet the 600. While the 1200 is lean from factory, the 600 is even more so. I got my wife's B6 jetted at the dealer, and it does make a big diff to warming her up and a little in performance. No more choke applied for over 1 minute!. Jet with stage 1 even with stock pipe - recommended!

How did that affect your mileage? I do a 110 miles a day so for me mileage is important. I will be going all ape on performance mods over my race bike but for my commuter I want to leave it as efficient as possible.

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »
EDIT: I cant post pics as attachments? I cant link them to any image sharing website at work as they are all blocked.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »
You'll need to click on the "Additional Option" at the bottom of the posting frame to open the attachment manager.  The limits and file types are listed there.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 03:11:23 PM »
You'll need to click on the "Additional Option" at the bottom of the posting frame to open the attachment manager.  The limits and file types are listed there.

I did, all I see is 3 options:

Notify me of replies.     
Return to this topic.    
Don't use smileys.

No link to any sort of attachment manager.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »
We'll check into that - might be some sort of hiccup with the forum change we made recently.
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
How did that affect your mileage? I do a 110 miles a day so for me mileage is important. I will be going all ape on performance mods over my race bike but for my commuter I want to leave it as efficient as possible.

Thats a tough one, cos as soon as we got the bike, we never got thru a full tank before re-jetting her.
On the whole though she still does better than my stock B12. I can do 310-340km's p/tank.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:50:24 PM by Snubnose »
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »

Hes right, His earlier comment of only 3 options and non being for attachments is true!..I just checked here too!
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »

Hes right, His earlier comment of only 3 options and non being for attachments is true!..I just checked here too!

Thats nice, I have run 3 tanks so far & the max I got today was 160 miles which is 256 km. Looks like my carbs are really messed up.

Offline arshishb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
OK, here are some pics. You can see an open hose on the right side of the bike. There is a spare connector from the TPS, dont know if that is supposed to connect to something. One of the "outlets" from the carb is plugged, dont know what that is.