Author Topic: battery runs out of juice quick  (Read 2976 times)

Offline nefton

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.magneticdrainplug.com
battery runs out of juice quick
« on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »
I am wondering if anyone else has the same issue with their bandit.  I have an 2002 1200s and I notice that if I leave the key on with the bike off the battery runs out of juice really quick.  I have a good amount of electrical load running but still, it runs out within 3 minutes.  

Also, unless there is a pretty steep hill, there is no way to push start the bike.  If the road, (or parking lot) is flat, there is no possible way to push start it.
www.magneticdrainplug.com
The best drain plug on earth!!!

Offline scooter69

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 04:31:35 PM »
Do you fully charge the battery when it dies or do you just boost it?

Motorcycle batteries require a deep cycle charge to get back to their full potential, or atleast that's what I've noticed.

When it does die, or next time before it does, hook up the charger (not trickle charge) for atleast 2-3 hours. This will give your battery a nice clean charge.

Also, is you battery stock from 2002? If so, it might simply be time for a new batt. They usually don't last more than 4-5 years....and it's already been atleast 4.

Try out the charger and let us know.  :beers:

Offline nefton

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 11:16:09 AM »
I do give it a full charge.  still just doesn't seem to do the trick.  The battery isn't the stock one but but it is starting to get old.  Maybe the battery just wasn't the strongest when I got the bike.  

thanks for the info

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: battery runs out of juice quick
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 11:48:05 AM »
="nefton"]I am wondering if anyone else has the same issue with their bandit.  I have an 2002 1200s and I notice that if I leave the key on with the bike off the battery runs out of juice really quick.  I have a good amount of electrical load running but still, it runs out within 3 minutes.  

Also, unless there is a pretty steep hill, there is no way to push start the bike.  If the road, (or parking lot) is flat, there is no possible way to push start it.
Hey just like your car! The sealed battery in your Bandit is a hi cycle unit! and only there for starts and occasional help to the elec needs! It is able to discharge fast and when in shape recharge fast! Do yourself a big favor GET A NEW BATTERY  And get a sealed one! the car type alt these bikes have are top notch but why burn it out or shorten its life trying to charge a used up 3 or 4 yr battery!  Alt $50 to ? Battery even the best 60??? :stickpoke:  :stickpoke:  :duh:  :beers:  :beers:  :motorsmile:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »
:btw: I suggest one of these from Dennis Kirk! Got to B one made 4 the Bandit not cheap but if the bike sits well worth it! J.M.O. :toocool:

Offline nefton

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 12:25:49 PM »
thanks daytona.  i'll look online for one of the dennis kirk batteries