Author Topic: Help! Lot of maint. finally caught up with me!  (Read 3244 times)

Offline toulonhess

• New user!
Help! Lot of maint. finally caught up with me!
« on: May 04, 2005, 03:31:34 PM »
So my poor 1st gen bandito 12 now needs lots of maint.

Just moved to Florida and on my first ride I felt the chain get a tight spot. At 15000 miles I figured it was normal all things considered and I lube it regularly and adjust it as needed. I would like to get at least a few more miles out of it considering gas is expensive and I'm tight on cash right now. I'm thinking of cleaning the chain off with kerosene and then maybe riding it just a few more times before I get the chain and sprocket set.

I have stock sprockets and I'm wondering a few things. I ride normally and once in a while I do goose on it and maybe a power wheelie once in a while. What is a good sprocket setup that is optimal for that?

One more thing.... Does anyone here live in the Orlando area and know a great motorcycle mechanic? I went to Central Florida Powersports and got treated like dog_ _it so I won't be going there ever again and just down the road at the Kawa-shop they treated me pretty well and were friendly enough but I'm not sure if 30 dollars an install item is decent for this area.
Thanks for your help in advance guys.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
chain
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 02:53:42 PM »
Getting extra miles out of a shot chain can be false economy as it will eat the sprockets.  If the sprockets are already bad then no harm done.  I wouldn't go too far because when a chain fails, especially at speed, things can get ugly.  Try dennis kirk (www.denniskirk.com), I saw some package deals in their latest catalog (o-ring chain, frt & r sprockets).  If wheelying is your game, you might want to go up a couple teeth on the rear.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: chain
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 03:02:59 PM »
Quote from: "tacoman"
If wheelying is your game, you might want to go up a couple teeth on the rear.

Conversly, if you are concerned primarily with gas mileage, you might want to go down a couple.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline toulonhess

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 06:18:32 PM »
Ok so the bike is parked and it's not going anywhere until I get the set (chain/sprockets) I tried Dennis Kirk but compared to other places the prices seem to be a bit high. I don't think I'll be going with an o-ring chain again either. I want something that's going to last longer than my o.e.m. chain. Thanks for the advice on the sprocket combo.

Again if anyone here is from the Orlando area and feels the need to brag about a great mechanic in this area then by all means, I'm all ears. Thanks guys!
 :thanks:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 07:24:18 PM »
The OEM chain is mediocre quality O-ring chain. 15K out of one is about normal. By saying you're giving up on O-ring chains, I hope that doesn't mean you're considering an unsealed chain. They will have an even shorter life. Go with a qualty "X" or "K" ring chain. The DID VM or ZVM are high quality and a popular choice with many here. AFAIK, the ZVM is the strongest chain out there. I've got a VM on my B12 and it has almost 20K on it and seems to be holding up well.

Proper cleaning and lube of the chain has everything to do with how long they (and the sprockets) will last. For longest life, a chain lube system is best.  See other threads here on the board for more info on those.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline toulonhess

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 07:47:50 PM »
LOL! Going for an unsealed chain on this bike would be suicide. This I know. I am looking at the ZVM and pricing them in different places... My main concern now is what kind of sprockets to get i.e. alloy, brand.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 08:01:19 PM »
Only suicide to the wallet. Racers will choose unsealed chains for less weight and less friction, but they aren't too concerned with the short life that comes with these gains.

As for sprockets, steel will last longest, alloy will save weight and horsepower losses as well as nicer looks. Sunstar, Vortex and Sprocket Specialties are popular choices.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Oldschooler

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 09:29:42 AM »
Hey toulonhess,

There is a great local mechanic here in Longwood, but it's a bit of a drive for you. Dick Suarez at Full Spectrum Racing.

"  Dick Suarez
Full Spectrum Racing
Longwood, FL
An amazing individual. Able to walk up to nearly any multipart mechanical object and immediately fix it. If it's just impossible to fix it in an instant, he will have parts or will know precisely who has the required parts and how to get them.
Has been known to work an entire week at Daytona with 3 hours of sleep every night.
Worked for Pops Yoshimura, lived and worked in Japan, has Moriwaki contacts and has probably had something to do with every rider, fast and slow, in Florida for the last 20 years! Provided support for people like Doug Polen and hosts of others for years. Raced TT and flattrack at Ascot and all over SoCal and every where else.
And the scariest, eeriest thing of all - he remembers ALL OF IT!!!  "

409 Spring Hammock Court, Longwood, FL 32750 (407) 260-5883
75 Kawi F7 175 / 1975 thru 1982
86 Honda TLM 200 / 1986 thru 2001
96 Suzuki Bandit 600S / June 2005 (still got it)
06 Suzuki V-Strom 650