Author Topic: Mean and very lean?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline dickbarton

• Board Regular!
Mean and very lean?
« on: September 26, 2005, 01:59:14 PM »
Sorry, I think this is the right forum now...

My new B12, still running in (400 miles) seems to be running so lean that small throttle opening produces a nasty fidgety ride, where the bike can't seem to make up its mind whether to go or not. Bigger throttle openings are no problem. The dealer has ordered new , bigger pilot jets.
Has Suzuki balls-up the carburation in trying to meet new EU regs?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Dickbarton

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Mean and very lean?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 02:37:33 PM »
Everyone gets a "too lean" bike these days due to increasingly more stringent emissions rules... but not THAT bad.

Considering Suzuki/Mikuni jets all these bikes the same, I'd want to be sure something else isn't causing the lean condition before I went swapping jets. I'd be looking for vacuum leaks in tha manifolds and vacuum diaphragms first.

As Manny said in the duplicate post, you shouldn't be paying for this, but if they insist, I'd pass. If there's no vacuum leaks, I'd just spring for a jet kit (and a slipon) and fatten the thing up and get more power.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dickbarton

• Board Regular!
Mean and very lean?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 03:07:10 PM »
Sorry I'm replying on two forums.
Yes, a manifold leak was my first thought. On my Thunderbird Sport it would have been easy to find out, because it had exhaust pipe take -off points for a gas analyser. I checked each spark plug for colour ( no wiser) so I guess I'll leave it to the dealer. (I dont know how else to check for manifold leaks or diaphragm leaks other than by stripping it).

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Mean and very lean?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 03:12:29 PM »
You can spray starting fluid/WD40/carb cleaner/etc around suspected areas and listen for a change in rpm. Any vacuum leak will suck the combustable and the rpm will go up from the richer mixture.

Since your bike seems OK with larger doses of throttle, if it is a vacuum problem, it's a small one.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dickbarton

• Board Regular!
Mean and very lean?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »
I'll keep this forum posted on the outcome. The bike is still at the Dealers, so it will either be fixed when I get it back, or I'll use my refund wad to buy some beer. I hope its the former, because the bike looks great and pulls like stink. If its the latter I'll find somewhere else to squirt my WD40.
Thanks for your advice.

Dickbarton