Author Topic: Lowering foot pegs on 1200?  (Read 13324 times)

Offline Dragon Rider

• New user!
Lowering foot pegs on 1200?
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »
I did all the research and a b12 seemed like a great bike for me.  But once I test road one, the foot peg position was too much for me.   :banghead:

The pegs are far too up and back for me, ie my knee bends too much and it makes some random muscle in my hip complain.  :rant2:

I ride a transalp and drz sm, so that more upright knees at 90 degrees works fine for me.

Is there any aftermarket peg relocater that would ease the cramped position of my knees?

(the bike I'm looking at is a good price, and I loved everything else about it)

thanks in advance.

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Lowering foot pegs on 1200?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »
I know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, most road bikes are all wrong for a dirt guy. I've just become used to it a bit.  I actually find that the width of the bike at the tank affects me the most now.The best thing I do is stop frequently to stretch my poor aching knees and back out.
You could look at it from the other direction and modify the seat. Maybe out a little more material on top and in front to give a little more legroom and make it a little narrower? A little here can go a long way, and it's usually not very expensive to get an upholstery shop to modify the seat (even cheaper if you're handy with a staplegun and do it yourself). I know the 1250 has an adjustable seat you could raise, not sure about the older ones though.
There probably are some aftermarket solutions out there for pegs, some people put pegs on engine guards to stretch out a bit as well. Do a search, and good luck!

Offline Dragon Rider

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I just checked out a cb1100f and the feet were more out front, but my knees were up more than I expect.

Guess I've gotten spoiled by cruisers and dual sports.   :rofl:

Offline BANDIT#999

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Hey Dragon, this is what I did...(I had access to weld shop equipment when I made these) take a couple of pieces of 3/8 X 1 inch flat bar, drill some locating holes and heat and bend. Then I went to the local bike wreckers and picked up a set of no-name bolt on footpegs. I mounted the bar to the two holes under the engine cases that are already tapped for the European extra engine mount, you'll see in the picture anyway. The nice thing is they fold up nicely out of the way for short trips, but when I'm on the bike for a ten hour ride it gives me the option of moving my foot position around. At 53 yrs of age, my knees are F****D up and although they look a bit out of character, it sure helps with anyone that has a knee problem.
This is how I had the bike packed for a 5 day trip to Indy for the MotoGP last year.

If tomorrow really is the first day of the rest of my life..........does that mean all the shit I do today don't count?

Offline machu

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »
i have been researching this one myself,and it seems the the 1250 peg mounts are offset,so you can flip them which will make them about one inch lower,or you can use the buell style foot pegs which are offset,but have no rubber,hope this helps.