Author Topic: Poll: SW Motech Alu Rack on the 1250  (Read 7471 times)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Poll: SW Motech Alu Rack on the 1250
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:19:19 AM »
I have the Suzuki OEM rack with the Suzuki top case and back rest. I like the rack because the side rails make great grab bars for the passenger. The downside is that the case is too close to the seat and with the back rest fitted, only the front half of the passenger seat is usable.

So, I am considering other options. I am no engineer so am not able to make an adaptor plate. I want an off-the-shelf solution. I looked at the Givi rack. This is likely to give more room but the side rails are low-down (designed for best fit with the side cases which I don't want) and the box itself is mounted quite high.

By far, the neatest solution is the SW Motech Alu Rack which puts the box back a little more but, unfortunately, lacks any side rails - my wife will have to resort to the stock grab rail that I can re-install once I take the OEM rack off. However, I have read reports of users complaining of failures (cracks in welds of rear subframe) using this. I am trying to establish the cause of this to determine whether it is a design failure or an overloading issue. As I see it, all the racks use the rear grab rail mounting points and since all the boxes mount to the rear of this, all the racks and top cases put their weight at this point. The solutions where a rack also bolts onto the rear footpeg mount cannot get much support at this point as it is so far forward from the centre of gravity of the rack and case. I suspect that this mounting point is only really effective for side case solutions.

So, this poll is an attempt to gauge failure rate with usage of the SW Motech Alu rack. Normally, I just put a lightweight rucksack (backpack) in my top case and maybe keep my helmet in it when the bike is parked in town. As I don't put a lot of weight in it, it might be some sort of solution for me. I've also seen a figure of 5 kg mentioned for the rack so I assume that this is SW's maximum load rating. In the poll, I would suggest that you interpret 'light loads' as well below 5 kg and 'heavy loads' as close to (or maybe just above) 5 kg.

:thanks:
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Re: Poll: SW Motech Alu Rack on the 1250
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:36:04 AM »
Geez! I really thought people here might have had some experience of this. Either way, I've now ordered one and will post photos showing the difference it makes once I've installed it.
David

ippo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
http://www.suzukibandit.org/index.php?topic=578.0
There is  sw motech alu rack experience.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »
Thanks but I can't read Finnish!  :roll:
David

ippo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks but I can't read Finnish!  :roll:
The message was that sw motech alu rack breaks bikes.

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 04:55:20 PM »
I have the Suzuki OEM rack with the Suzuki top case and back rest.

Being the previous user of my Krauser top case and krauser top rack, knowing full well from first hand experience, these attachment systems that put their entire load on the TC rack only, quite often end up with problems. This is especially true when the luggage or rack is used in conjunction with a passenger as the added weight that gets pushed back on this weak area (either by the passenger's back against a top case or their hands holding on for dear life) tend to push too much pressure and caused the thin metal TC rack on my bike to fracture.

After this fracture occured, I had the TC rack re-inforced, boxed and repaired by a welder, something that should of been done from the factory as far as I'm concerned. I have since gone to the Givi wingrack set up which provides ample "hang on" places for passengers nervous hands and is attached to more places than just the rear grab handle area.

I did have the Renntec rack for the back of my wifes b6, and it worked great, although it only attached to this "weak" area of the bike, it was never used for a passenger to hold on to and never used for a passenger to press up against with their weight with the added top case. However, it does have the bars you can hold onto and is much bigger and sits further back than the suzuki OEM rear rack.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:56:58 PM by Snubnose »
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
Thanks Snubnose. I hear what you say. On the Bandit, every rack system seems to use the passenger grab rail support point. It is this that takes the weight of the top case and/or passenger either supporting him/herself against the grab rail or leaning against the box. I am not hearing of failures of racks (apart from yours) but of failure of the point where the grab rail support is welded to the frame.

I would guess that the failures are a small number out of the total number of bikes sold but it does seem to suggest that this weld is weak and should be strengthened by Suzuki if passengers brace themselves against it or it is used as a mounting point for racks and accessories including those made by Suzuki themselves (or made on behalf of Suzuki by distributors). Now, I know that some people might argue that 'better' racks are supported by attachment to the passenger footpeg mounts as well but if you think about it, the majority of the weight is still taken by the grab rail and it's attachment point to the frame.

My concern/question (and one that I still have no evidence for) is that these failures may have been caused by excessive strain at that point with, for example, a heavily loaded top case AND a passenger leaning back on the box - typical touring conditions perhaps. I suspect that light loadings may not cause a problem. So, there are a few posts on the Web blaming this rack or that rack as causing a problem but it is not backed up with scientific or engineering proof that the rack itself caused the problem rather than just being an odd weak weld made by the factory for a component which is lightly stressed in most circumstances. The objective of my poll was to establish that.
David

Offline bottomfeeder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »
I have had this rack on my bike for about 4 months -- I also have the Suzuki side cases so it is reinforced where the top rack is mounted.  I have not did any long trips yet, but I have put up to 4 bottles of 1 litter bottles and and have put 12 packs of soda and beer in the givi case on the top rack. so far no issues I can tell.   Its still solid when I shake the top case ....
When I bought the motech I did not read of issues -- when I did though I was a little worried, but so far no issues ....

Offline aikiboy

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »
I got the Givi rack and the thing is rock solid.  Had a get off 7 days ago, cut off coming out of a driveway by someone who pulled into my lane to pass a car on the right, and the bike landed on the case.  Givi rack held like a rock (so did the case, scrape only) even though the bike landed on it. 

Offline gunzip

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
  "but so far no issues ..."
  Keep an eye out around those welds and the frame rails around them , pippling in the paint is one sign of bending.
 I'm considering fabbing a subframe bracket to attach a brace for luggage racks and also to mount some kind of 'stand-off' to support soft bags and keep them off the body work

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »
I just don't see a problem with the OEM top case rack and back rest setup. I have taken 2 women for rides both of them under 110 pounds though, and they never mentioned a seating problem and visually I don't see my top case and back rest taking half the passenger seat. Maybe its just a personal size issue.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 06:53:32 PM »
I just don't see a problem...

Here is the problem:

David

Offline achesley

• New user!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
I've been having the SW Rack on my bike for the last 3000 miles with no problems. I'm using a Fieldsheer tailbag on it with tools, raingear, maps and other little odds and ends you carry on the road most all the time.  So far , no problems.