Author Topic: Break-in for new Bandit  (Read 12535 times)

Offline MattDaddy

• Board Regular!
Break-in for new Bandit
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:43:49 PM »
I'm picking up my new 2007 Bandit with ABS in just over an hour!   I'm wondering what everyone thinks about break-in method that is best for the engine.  
I have heard some very divergent views from the 'take it easy' and follow the manual exactly crowd, to the 'run it hard' group that says good seating of the piston rings requires it to be run hard.   The 'run it hard' crowd isn't suggesting red lining it, but to push the throttle in short bursts to ensure there is enough pressure on the rings.

Here's a link with this philosophy http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

What opinions do you good folks have, and what have you done with your bikes?

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »
Things to consider... you want your rings to seat, so you need to accelerate rather strongly at different rpms. Not so much quick bursts, but more like steady roll-ons and roll-offs between shifts.

At the same time, you don't want to score any bearings, so keep it under the recommended RPM's during the mileage intervals stated.

Also, you want your transmission gears to de-burr evenly, so shift up and down a lot, accelerating in each gear equally. Cruise in different gears too.

And, you don't want to score or burn your clutch plates, so no hole-shots or clutch-drops at high RPM's.

Lastly, I prefer to do my first oil change a little early, because most of your metal shavings occur during initial break-in. I'd say change it at 200 miles, but still keep your RPM's below the 5K limit until after the first 600 miles.

I plan on going to synthetic after 3500 miles... I'm using regular 10-40w till then to make sure everything is settled in good.

I'm sure you'll see some disagreement and alternate methods here, but that's how I do it anyway...  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:31:10 PM »
I've been breaking in engines with a philosophy similar to the one in that link since I rebuilt my first engine, over 35 years ago. I was taught the theory of "break it in like it'll be used."
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:46:50 AM »
I was told by my dealer to run it like it'll be used.....  naturally I followed the book procedure - geez... 5th gear at 5,500 rpm is STILL 90 mph.  Like already mentioned - vary the speeds and rpms and you can't go wrong.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 01:42:56 AM »
Check out this thread...some good discussion on the subject.

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8096&highlight=break
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline MattDaddy

• Board Regular!
Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:52:45 AM »
I asked a number of folks at the dealership today what they do with their own bikes (track and street) and heard some similar themes to what you've responded.  The common story I hear from almost everyone is to:
- focus on limiting RPMs to below 6K (for my model specifically)
- don't use synthetic oil until much later (5K miles or more)
- "vary the RPM" is almost a universal instruction
- focus on pushing hard enough on the throttle to provide enough compression (ZenMan I like the way you explained it as steady roll-ons and roll-offs on the throttle)

I picked my Bandit up this afternoon and will take it out on some country roads tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses and the link to the other thread. I haven't broken in a new bike before and didn't want to miss the one chance to do it right.

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 06:44:46 PM »
I picked my 1250s up a week ago yesterday and went straight to Deal's Gap and Gatlinburg. It was indeed a sweet ride. The seat is a little hard compared to what I was accustomed to but it all worked out fine. I love the bike and it rides and handles like a dream. I kind of did like "zeeman" suggested; easy rolls on and easy rolls off the throttle, never over 5000r's. I also did the oil change early like he suggested at around 450. So far so good. The Bandit "ROCKS".
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:37:38 PM »
well I couldn't stick to the strict break in rules in the manual.  I made it to about 150 mile before I just HAD to let her eat!  I have always heard the break it it how you plan to drive it motto- and it worked out great on the rest of my vehicles.  My normal driving is 5000 rpm shifts so for- so for the most part I stay below that...but it has seem 9K a time or 5. :motorsmile:   The great thing about a torquey bike is that you don't HAVE to scream it to go fast.;)

I am getting up to 400 miles on her now- gonna let the dealer do the 600 mile service.  i don't like working on my toys- I just want to enjoy them. :bandit:
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Break-in for new Bandit
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 09:15:46 PM »
Things to consider... you want your rings to seat, so you need to accelerate rather strongly at different rpms. Not so much quick bursts, but more like steady roll-ons and roll-offs between shifts.

At the same time, you don't want to score any bearings, so keep it under the recommended RPM's during the mileage intervals stated.

Also, you want your transmission gears to de-burr evenly, so shift up and down a lot, accelerating in each gear equally. Cruise in different gears too.

And, you don't want to score or burn your clutch plates, so no hole-shots or clutch-drops at high RPM's.

Lastly, I prefer to do my first oil change a little early, because most of your metal shavings occur during initial break-in. I'd say change it at 200 miles, but still keep your RPM's below the 5K limit until after the first 600 miles.

I plan on going to synthetic after 3500 miles... I'm using regular 10-40w till then to make sure everything is settled in good.

I'm sure you'll see some disagreement and alternate methods here, but that's how I do it anyway...  :motorsmile:

Bingo!!!

What the ZenMan said!

:beers:
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
To give the devil his due, Zenman's comments here are right on the money in my book as well (+1). If in doubt you cant go wrong following the manufactures recommendations. Its really only willful abuse during brake that can mess things up in these otherwise bullet proof engines.

I'm sure you'll see some disagreement and alternate methods here, but that's how I do it anyway...  :motorsmile:

Bingo!!!

What the ZenMan said!

:beers:

Offline FastLarry

• New user!
    • FastLarry's Web Pages....
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »
Here's the second best one that I have found. The same guy writes one for doing it on the Dyno and that's best in my opinion... FL :grin:
Don't use synthetic oil until you have atleast 1500 to 2000 miles on the motor...... FL :wink:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Brock Davidson also has one that works very well..... FL :beers:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:27:52 PM by FastLarry »

Offline ciso

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »
When I picked up my 07, the mechanic made the statement to ride it like you stole it.
Can't agree with that, but after maybe 70-80 bikes in my lifetime, I break them in like I am going to ride, but never abusive to the bike.
The first 200 miles or so, I am a little more conservative and then as stated before, change the oil and check all the torques.
Never have had an engine failure or trouble.
07 1250 Bandit
07 SV 650
01 B12
XR 250

Offline DJP

• New user!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 06:53:41 AM »
Like most of the above posters, I ran mine in using motoman’s method:

Warm the bike up for a few miles, then brisk acceleration up to 6,000 rpm and then roll off and allow engine braking to slow the bike to around 3,000 rpm in the same gear. Repeat over and over in different gears for the first 20 or 30 miles.

Thereafter ride normally – just don’t exceed 6,000 rpm for the first 600 miles. Even more important is not to “Lug” the engine at low revs - don’t run it at less than 3,000 rpm for any length of time.

Oh yeah, and stick to mineral oil for at least the first 2,000 miles.

I’ve run in 5 or 6 bikes this way and never had an engine problem.

Happy riding!

01 Bandit 600... Sold
08 Bandit 1250... Riding!

Offline tricky trucker trev

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Re: Break-in for new Bandit you are very correct excellent way to do it
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »

:congrats: