Author Topic: oil plug stripped  (Read 12783 times)

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
oil plug stripped
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »
I changed my oil and filter today and I had a little extra oil in the sump. So I loosened the plug up and drained a bit out. When I went to tighten the plug up it was turning a bit hard but it didn't seem too serious. When I got it up snug it just keeps turning so I'm afraid I might have stripped the plug unless there is a crush washer in there that is doing this. Any ideas?

I looked for some threads about this but couldn't find any.
2007 1250S Bandit

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: oil plug stripped
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:10:52 AM »
On 2nd look I did find several threads about this topic. Just curious if it isn't leaking is it okay to drive a round for awhile? The plug is good and snug it just won't tighten up like it should.
I'm sure not going to keep turning it. Maybe I'll call the bike shop and see what they charge to put a heli-coil in. I've been changing oil in cars for 35 years and my first bike oil change I strip the plug! $20 worth of Synthetic oil down the drain.
2007 1250S Bandit

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
The answer to your question is another question.
How confident are you that it can't/won't vibrate loose with the amount of torque it currently has?

$20 worth of synthetic is cheaper than an engine replacement.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
The answer to your question is another question.
How confident are you that it can't/won't vibrate loose with the amount of torque it currently has?

$20 worth of synthetic is cheaper than an engine replacement.

Exactly.  If you're really worried about the $20 of oil, put a clean catch can under it and use it again.
Pull plug out, helicoil hole, put plug back in.

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the response.

I called the LBS, he said he would look at it and if needed put an insert ( not heli-coil but similar ) in the hole and fix it up.

He said I can bring whatever oil I want for him to refill it ( shell Rotella 5w-40 )and leave the filter on there since it is new.

This will be the first experience with the bike shop for me besides tire changes and such.

Seems like he knows what he is doing.

I think there is plenty of torque left on the plug and it's a 10 min trip to shop. So if it's not leaking bad I should be okay.

2007 1250S Bandit

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
The bike shop is wanting to put a whole new pan in, he says he is worried the pan might crack if he puts a timesert in. He said he doesn't like helicoils because they can weep and he won't guarantee it.

The pan with labor and everything is $350.

From everything I've read on here a helicoil should be fine.  Is there a thrust washer that goes with the plug? i would that would seal it okay.

I'm thinking I'm going to tell him to put the helicoil in and see how it goes?
2007 1250S Bandit

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »
Yeah it can weep but honestly I've seen helicoils done and last for years without a problem.

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
I thought the mechanic mentioned cross contamination with the cooling system. Does the coolant pass thru the oil pan?

2007 1250S Bandit

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »
I haven't looked at the water-pumping Bandits that closely, but I've never heard of a water cooled engine passing coolant through its oil pan before.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:27:09 PM »
I haven't looked at the water-pumping Bandits that closely, but I've never heard of a water cooled engine passing coolant through its oil pan before.
+1

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »
Thanks,

I agree, I looked at the pictures of the pan in the manual and don't see any water passages.

The mechanic is going to go ahead and put the timesert in.

I think he was just nervous about getting a straight shot at the hole with the adjacent cooling fins and also mentioned some concerns about wall thinning along the edge of the plug hole.

Can't imagine he'll have a problem with all the people on here who have said they have done it already on these bikes.

It will be nice if it works out to have steel threads in there vs aluminum.
2007 1250S Bandit

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »
Ok, the mechanic installed the time-sert and everything appears okay, no seepage. The time-sert is very similar to the heli-coil however it has a shoulder on it so it cannot go too far into the hole and also a locking feature once the plug is first installed. It appears that some special tools are needed to install these inserts so unless you plan to do a bunch, the bike shop may be the best bet.

Anyway it cost me $75 to get this done and considering I couldn't get a drain plug in without cross threading the hole I am happy to have someone else do this.

Thanks again for the advice on this forum. It is nice to visit a forum where people respond to my silly questions. I have been on other forums, automotive, bicycle, etc where unless you are part of 'the click' they just ignore you. That's not the case here.

:thanks:
2007 1250S Bandit

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »
Yeah don't fret it, everyone has probably stripped at least something once. Remember aluminum is pretty soft so just torque it down to specs. You don't gain anything tighting with all your might on something.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Pacodog

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
Update on drain plug stripping problem. I went to drain my oil for the winter and when I unscrewed the drain plug it came out timesert and all.  :annoy:

Oh, well, I changed the oil and put the timesert plug back in to torque spec. Seems to be fine. The two plug assembly actually screwed in better then the stock plug.
2007 1250S Bandit

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 10:31:46 PM »
As long as the insert threads are fine, it doesn't really matter. If you're really scared you could buy an oil pan from a wrecker but I wouldn't bother as long as it works. Maybe go to home depot or Rona and get a big ass rubber washer which will seal and also add some friction to help keep it all together. Is it a new(ish) bike? Maybe for fun call the wreckers or check ebay every 6 months or so you may be able to pick up an oil pan somewhere.

A quick check on the internet you can get an oil pan for a gen1/2/3 for $168 new. For the water Bandits Gen 4's I'm not so sure.

Try these guys.

www.bikebandit.com

Don't worry about being part of a "clique" chances are they are just posers anyway. Ie. Your average Harley owner which for some bizarre reason went from a motorcycle company into a fashion house where their bikes are just part of the fashion. Buell wanted to change that but Harley got scared when Police depts in the States started to want to order the Buell ULYSSES police bikes instead, due to reliability problems with the Harley Police bikes. I guess they didn't want to compete with themselves. I find it funny that the "experimental/entry level" division of Harley was blowing away their mainstream bikes, despite using their engines.

Don't get me wrong, when I was helping out my friend for a week during the summer rush at his bike shop I had to break in a new 1200 motor that he installed for a customer on an 883 sportster. There was some sort of nostalgic factor when driving it and it was torquey, I "get it". But after riding the Bandit I was underwhelmed. Also the customer wanted some cheesy ass skull shit we had to put on all over it, which didn't help any. I'm sure the skulls look cool somewhere in the world but it was horrid trying to look through a tiny ass skull mirror that kept coming loose so I wouldn't die while changing lanes. But for a 1200 it was kinda lethargic, maybe it needed more skulls?

Although it was funny as hell watching my friend and I swear like a sailor trying to attach those cheap chinese Harley "custom" parts that didn't fit properly, were loose, or fell apart after the engine started. I laughed my ass off!

I know it's kinda sad that Buell got shut down but to be honest I think it's for the best. Buell actually wanted to make motorcycles that could compete or be better than anything out there and that kind of scared Harley considering their performance and reliability record. Harley wanted Buell to be sort of a "stepping stone" for people to move up to a Harley, however riding a Buell, a Harley after was a huge step down not a step up. Despite using the archaic engine that Harley still flogging around he pumped out as much as he could out of it and had awsome bikes with some very novel solutions and inventions. My friend built a Buell from parts and that thing is phucking awsome. For Harley though I think the end of the Road is in sight. As soon as the baby boomers get too old to relive the "easy rider" days or die off. Harley is going to be in serious trouble, they are trying like crazy right now to go oversees as some other people in other countries still consider Harley's a bit of a novelty but that will wear out as soon as they drive something else. Buell would have saved them in the long run but they closed it down after realizing their bikes performed like crap compared to them.

Thank god that Buell is back with the EBR brand(Erik Buell Racing) and he has a top of the line bike now but will be producing other bikes as well soon. I wish him all the luck in the world. Who knows if they are priced right I wouldn't mind getting one considering he's using ROTAX engines which have a good reliability record and great power. His current mill stock is 175 Horsepower! Thats alot for a V-Twin.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:01:09 AM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.