Author Topic: Drag Racing Junkies  (Read 74361 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2005, 01:40:23 AM »
Ah ha! So you went to a cable clutch so you could have another pitcher and a pizza... but couldn't stop.  :stickpoke:

(I'm not getting any lighter either and weigh about the same as you.)  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 06:48:33 PM »
Hi
Just a note to let you guys know how my Drag racing season is going.
First meeting was a two day event that got washed out on the second day.
I was the only bike to enter in my class "DYO" so I should have got 100 points automatically and then allowed to race in the "Comp" bike class.
Well I didn't know that I would be racing for their prize money but not their points.So I in my first round I took a dive.
I had talked to the guy I was up against and I didn't think it was fair that I could knock him out of his competition even though I couldn't win that competition myself.
So I sat up at 2/3,s track and gave him the win.
The second day was rained out so in the end our organizing body NZDRA decided that there wouldn't be any points awarded to anyone as the finals were not run.
So I rode for 8hrs to get there and payed for two nights in a motel and I didn't get nothing !

Second meeting was at my home track and apart from turning up late and missing the first practice run I did OK.
Well real good actually I won my class.
My times were real consistent.
11.68 @ 113kph
11.77 @ 111kph
11.72 @ 114kph...not fast but I'm a fat bastard and I'm not thrashing this bike.
But my reaction times were what I liked !!!
We run a .400 full tree and I did...
So I got my full 100 points for winning and $100 prize money.But the icing on the cake was that this year the DYO bikes can set their own National records.So as, no one had applyed for the record, I did.
So I am now the New Zealand Record holder of the A/Modified Bike class.
Not a bad weekend.
Next race is on Jan 2nd at New Zealand's newest drag way.
Should be fun racing on a new track.
Thanks
Richard

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 08:38:16 PM »
richard...where is that new track?

thanks slo coach

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 08:59:50 PM »
Hi
Taupo
http://www.lid.co.nz/
Should be fun...I'v never raced at a twilight meeting before.
Richard

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 07:52:57 PM »
Hi
Whats everybodys best reation time ?

I will go first with a 0.023.

What are most of you guys getting ?
Richard

Offline 12sdrag

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 11:14:39 PM »
Quote from: "bstard"
Hi
Whats everybodys best reation time ?

I will go first with a 0.023.

What are most of you guys getting ?
Richard

best time .006  worst time -.001
 Racing starts up agin in 3 weeks. 3 weeks to do everything I did not do in the last three months.
It is what it is and thats all it is till it is no more

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 03:32:14 AM »
Hi
OK...I have alot more work to do I see.

12sdrag...Can you tell me how consistent you guys are with your good
reaction times.Do you get under 0.020 consistently thruout the day ?

I think my best day was 0.070..0.043...0.045...0.034...0.023  for the day.
Bstard

Offline 12sdrag

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 09:44:08 PM »
I wish I could say I `m real consistent. But, I`m not. I do get some good times but, for the most part I`m concentrating on the bike and what it will do in the first 100 feet. I`m not good enuff to get a good reaction time and a good 60 foot time. I would say your times are not that bad. How long have you been racing?  I know for me, I red light more then having .00- times. I just hope that I can race this year? Last year I did not race at all.

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 06:00:18 AM »
Hi
I have been racing the GS1200SS for 1&1/2 seasons.My reaction times have been getting better as I get more seat time.Compared to most of the guys I compete against my reactions times are real good.Thats why I'm having a good season.
Raced again today but it was at NZ,s newest track and I spun it up in the final and lost.The track needs more work but it might end up NZ,s fastest track in the end.
Still I got 97 points to add to my Points Series total.
I have found that most of the guys that I am racing against are new to the game and cant seem to understand that it is consistency that will win in our class.
Any how...I  had a good day and I,m confident of putting in a good show at our National in about a months time...I won it last season.
Bstard

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
bstard...its slo...considering our motors are similar your timesare way in front of my few attempts..i always think i do okay untill they give me my time slip...what mods have you done .filters ? jetting?? what brand of carbs are on your bike?? cheers slo

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2006, 08:48:51 AM »
Hi
My bike is absolutely standard.No pipes/filters or anything different.
I don't want to change any thing as I need it to be consistent not fast.
Thats why alot of guys have trouble getting DYO racing sussed.They keep trying different things to go faster when they should be trying to get used to what their bike does as it is.
The GS1200SS model has a speed limiter on it so I will only ever get 180kph out of it as thats when the limiter comes in.
But as for the reaction times...well thats down to time in the seat at the track.
Here is what I do.
When you stage only just roll the front wheel into the second beam just enough to bring on the stage light.Do not move any farther forward than you need to.
Then as the amber lights count down you go the split second the third/last amber comes on.By the time the front wheel has rolled out of the beam the green light should be just coming on.
This works well until you get used to it.You will find that with practice you will seem to "see" that last amber come on faster.I mean that you will actually be reacting to the amber faster and then thats when you will start to get red lights.
This is were it gets harder.You now have to see that last amber come on then hesitate before you drop the clutch because you are reacting faster and need to leave a fraction after the light cones on.
Then you have all the other variables to sort out...what rpm to launch at...dump the clutch or feed it out...how much to roll the throttle on...is the track as sticky as last time...even how much fuel you have in the tank.
Simple this straight line racing isn,t it  :grin:
Bstard

P. S. The GS1200SS comes with 32mm Keihin CVR carbs so I cannot even try any of the carb mods that are on this site.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »
Quote from: "bstard"
Then you have all the other variables to sort out...what rpm to launch at...dump the clutch or feed it out...how much to roll the throttle on...is the track as sticky as last time...even how much fuel you have in the tank.
Simple this straight line racing isn,t it  :grin:

I was wondering if anyone would share some trade secrets for launch procedures.  What RPM's are you holding prior to launch?  Are you starting out in first or second gear?  Do you just dump the clutch or feather it out?  Any other tips for a total noob at draggin'?   I'm not looking to get into racing but doing a bike nite at the local strip might be a fun way to spend an evening.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2006, 08:22:43 PM »
Hi
This is what I do...Remember that I,m not trying to be the fastest bike out there just the most consistent.

Stage as in the previous post.

Hold revs at 2500rpm...do not ever sit there blipping the throttle.Because if you are on the downside of a blip when your light comes on your f--ked.

When your last amber lights I let the clutch out and roll the throttle on.
I suppose I dump the clutch and roll the throttle on as hard as the track will allow.

If your motor bogs down too much then raise your launch rpm.If you spin up the rear straight away then lower your rpm.

You should leave in first gear.

It's sort of hard to explain...you have to try different things to see how they feel.
Just don't try changing anymore than one thing at a time or you will never find out which change was the one that worked.
Not sure if any of this helps or if I have just confused you more.
The first time you take your bike to the track you should just roll up to the line and take off like you do at any set of traffic lights.You will be as nervous as so it is best not to try anything fancy on your first couple of runs.
Also you don't have to rev it out to red line in every gear.I'm changing at 9000rpm on my GS1200SS.
Bstard

Offline 12sdrag

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2006, 08:51:55 PM »
Hey Txbanditrydr, How are you? I can tell you how I launch my bike. I try and do the same thing every time. first  I set my first bulb or pre-stage light than after my opponent sets his light ( It is unsportsman like to set both lights before the other guy sets his pre-stage light) I bring my rpm`s to 4500. I have a green piece of tape that marks the rpm that I want to be at, so I only look at my long enuff to see that mark. Then I roll into the second light or beam. I do not use the clutch to move the bike, I roll in with my feet, keeps me from changing rpms. Now I`m at the line, 4500 rpms, I only load the clutch enuff to bring revs down a litte bit, but enuff to make the bike move. When I`m on may last amber I start letting clutch out. As soon as I leave the line my eyes go back to the tech. I try to feed it enuff clutch to carry the front wheel about 1" or 2" off the ground , the key word is I try. I do not go to full tilt till the clutch is all the way out. This system works for me I`m sure other people have better procedures. This is just how I was taught.
 The reason I only leave the at 4500 is, anything higher it takes longer to get full clutch engagement. Hope this helps ? btw do you think you will make it to the rally on this side of the miss. Remember I made it all the way to AR. :stickpoke:

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
Drag Racing Junkies
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »
"Remember I made it all the way to AR." Sure do! you should make the Iron Bandit Butt Award!!! :banana:  :congrats: Larry The Cable Guy!  :stickpoke:
I am ready to go back to the Pine Lodge and play putt putt golf in the rain! :lol:
Also you might try starting in a parking lot first, you are going to spin but it will be a little like the strip, Difference is on the track the bike will go straight up in the air on the track,,,,,,,, So you have to feather the clutch either way. To start, leave the 32 PSI in the back tire. That will help keeping the wheelies to a minimum! I run 12 to 15 PSI on a street tire and 10 to 8 PSI on my Shootout and Slick tire bikes. Like everyone said "THE SAME THING EVERY TIME". I like to bring the bike just into the secound amber bulb "Shallow Stage" and leave on the Second yellow light. With out getting into the details of "ROLL OUT" This works for me.
I also do my burn out in 2nd or 3 gear and "Drive Around" the water box the back the bike into the water. ( I don't like to get my front tire wet, can't burn the water off of the front tire). I have some good drag race 101 articals around here and will try to upload them soon.
For now try this link,
http://www.staginglight.com/guide/react.html
http://www.staginglight.com/guide/index.html
Thanx
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!