Author Topic: Front Brake drag (and brake fluid debate)  (Read 10308 times)

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Front Brake drag (and brake fluid debate)
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2007, 01:14:25 AM »
Well, thank you, Red, for your diligent efforts to collect all the facts. You pretty much put together all the stuff I've read about DOT 5 over the last 10 years or so into one thread. You've got my vote on this one....no doubt about it. Your case is absolutely proven, IMO.
And, at the end of it all, if DOT 5 is recommended for HD's for quite a number of model years, would anyone need a better excuse NOT to use it ??? :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Yeah, I know, now I'm going to get flamed by all the HD owners...... :roll:  :roll:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2007, 11:07:24 AM »
Holly Jeezers!  :lol:  :duh:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
Well, the fact is, I seem to be the only one here that's actually used DOT 5, and quite extensively. But apparently that doesn't count.  :roll:

Look, this thread doesn't need to be dragged out anymore... I've already conceded that today's modern brake fluids are as good or better than DOT 5, so it's a moot point.

All I've said from the beginning is it's not the horrible, dangerous stuff that some folks tried to make it out to be. It has it's drawbacks, but if used properly, it works quite well... and it helped me beat a lot of guys into the corners on the track. The sponginess is highly exaggerated.

But if it makes ya feel better, I haven't used it for years, since I quit racing. And in the unlikely event that I start racing again, as in vintage old-guy class, I'd probably go with the newer DOT 4 or 5.1... Ok?

Can we let it die now?  :roll:

Sheesh!
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 07:58:32 PM »
I've heard that DOT 5 makes for GREAT blinker fluid.  REALLY crisp, regular flashes.  All the really cool guys are using it!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 09:35:24 PM »
Pfffffttt! Don't use that junk... use genuine Blinker Fluid!

My personal favorite is KaleCo brand blinker fluid.

Are you blinkers sluggish? Do they make an annoying ticking noise? Do they not flash fast enough? Here's your solution. Little do people know, factory quality blinker fluid should be changed every 150,000 blinks. Our blinker fluid lasts ten times that. KaleCoAuto high quality synthetic blinker fluid meets the highest DOT standards while not being in the least bit DOT legal! KaleCoAuto blinker fluid provides you with thousands of hours of reliable blinking without the wear and tear on the flash-synchro's that the other blinker fluids cause. KaleCoAuto blinker fluid will not lose its viscosity even in the most extreme situations. Why buy that old dino-blinker fluid, when you can get our unique patented synthetic formula? Satisfaction guaranteed!! For use in any car.

(Works fine in bikes, too - no need for motorcycle specific blinker fluid!)

They're a great source for other hard to find items like clutch belts, seasonal air, adjustable powerbands, piston return springs, Johnson rods, Kuhneutson Valves and the ever popular but increasingly hard to find, muffler bearings!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »
Uh, there is actually a muffler bearing. It's a sort of slip joint on the exhaust pipe of an M113 tracked vehicle that allows the engine to move a little. Ask any 63C (US Army job classification) about it.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2007, 12:56:44 AM »
And next time you change your oil, don't forget to drink:

I hear it makes great blinker fluid and muffler bearing lube, too.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"