Author Topic: Flash to pass / garage door opener interface.  (Read 10693 times)

Offline CanaBandit

• Board Regular!
Flash to pass / garage door opener interface.
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:55:05 PM »
Has anyone done this on their Bandit 1200? 

Mine has the "flash to pass" switch and I was wondering if it would be possible to interface this with my garage door remote? 

For now I have fabricated a bracket out of aluminum and bolted it by the L/H passenger foot peg support. 

I would like to hook it to the "flash to pass" switch as this is a perfect location, but can it be done without disabling the headlight flash funcionaity?  Disonnecting the stock elerctrical plug from this switch and connecting the wires extended from my opener so they short together when pressed is easy enough. 

Ideas?

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Flash to pass / garage door opener interface.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 05:59:35 AM »
I am not sure about details in B12 but IIRC the switch does not have any separate wiring and the only thing it does is that it turns on high beam whatever situation it is (it means that if you already have light switch in high beam it does nothing). So I think you won't be able to pick up the event of switch press without disassembling it and making changes to it's wiring (if even possible). In such event I would get another pod to hacking in just to keep my original safe and working.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline CanaBandit

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:32:01 AM »
I took a look in there yesterday and it's a bit much to bother with. I was thinking of tapping into the positive wire from the flash to pass switch to energize a relay and the garage door opener. As long as I can tap it before the high beam switch so it's not energized the whole time that's on.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:58:40 AM »
You might try something like this.....

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=7821.msg59181#msg59181

It has worked well for me over the last (nearly) decade.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline CanaBandit

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »
That's essentially what I have now.  Just thought it would be nice to have it co-located with a factory switch is all. With my 636 I disconnected the factory lap timer and used the start/lap button for the garage door.  Didn't see me using the lap timer function much...lol.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:26 AM »
This is a bloody good idea! I always sit outside the gate fumbling for the remote

This should be relatively easy to incorporate.

Use a 12V relay with normally open contact .

Put the coil of the relay in series with the flash to pass and resolder the contacts of the gate remote switch to the open contact of the relay

Edit - you will have to check how many amps the coil can handle....the headlight is going to pull around 4.6Amps through that circuit. you may need to put the relay coil in parallel.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:17:52 AM by Gouraami »
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC

Offline CanaBandit

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
I thought of this but after looking at the wiring diagram it appears that wire would have power the entire time the high beams are on.  Meaning if I'm driving at night with them on, the garage door opener would be active the whole time.  I may be wrong here.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
If that is the case then no, it won't work...back to the drawing board
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC