Author Topic: Kid kills self in parking lot doing wheelie on first bike...  (Read 2191 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Posted on Sat, Jul. 02, 2005

Man, 22, dies in ride on first motorcycle

By Deanna Boyd

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - Jeremy Patrick had just bought the motorcycle -- his first -- less than three weeks ago.

"He loved life and anything that could get him outside," said his father, Donald Patrick. "I tried to get him not to buy the motorcycle, but you know how they are when they're 22 -- they pretty much think they're indestructible."

On Thursday afternoon, Patrick was fatally injured when he crashed his motorcycle while doing a wheelie in his employer's parking lot in far north Fort Worth.

Sgt. Don Hanlon, supervisor of the traffic investigation unit, said Patrick was riding a 2005 Suzuki 600 motorcycle when the accident happened at 4:25 p.m. in the parking lot of ATC Logistics and Electronics at 13500 Independence Parkway.

"The initial reports to officers are that he had been doing some type of wheelie stunt -- riding on one wheel -- and lost control of the motorcycle," Hanlon said.

Hanlon said Patrick fell from the motorcycle, which then slid into two parked pickups. After the crash with the second pickup, Hanlon said, that pickup and the motorcycle caught fire.

Patrick, who was reportedly wearing a helmet, suffered road rash and visible external injuries but was talking to officers and was coherent on the scene, Hanlon said.

"Apparently during treatment, they related he started to deteriorate, and Medstar made the decision to call CareFlite as a precaution," Hanlon said. "He went to the hospital, and they were unable to save him."

Patrick was pronounced dead at Harris Methodist Fort Worth shortly before 6 p.m.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office ruled Patrick's death an accident.

Donald Patrick said his son was a friendly, outgoing, warm man who loved baseball and was very athletic.

"It's hard for me to describe him because I'm so biased about him," Donald Patrick said. "I thought he was the most special person that ever lived. He was so special."

Donald Patrick said his son worked in the warehouse of the company where the accident took place, driving forklifts.

"He was a loving son and a dedicated employee to those he worked for," Donald Patrick said. "The people there loved him. He's just what everybody would want for a son or friend -- loyal to a fault."

Donald Patrick said his son bought the motorcycle June 11.

"I'm sure that if he had to do it over again, he would not be out there trying to impress his friends," Patrick said. "Youth sometimes don't have a lot of good common sense. I hate that they have to pay such a price."

Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......