Author Topic: Motorcyclist Comparo Bandit to K1200R Sport  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Tarheel_Rider

• New user!
Motorcyclist Comparo Bandit to K1200R Sport
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »
Just got my Motorcyclist rag in the mail and they ran a comparison between the Bandit and K12R Sport.  The BMW wins on the drag strip and for technology gadetry and not much else.  

The conclusion "For everybody else, the most significant twist is how close the Bandit comes to delivering filet mignon for the price of flank steak . . . the Bandit delivers more motorcycle for less money than anything in anybody else's showroom."

If the press generates sales, the Bandit should be an all time winner, every article I read is glowing positive.  So far in the rags I've spotted, it's beaten the FZ1, and the K12R Sport (twice).  

Saving my pennies, of course, by the time I get them saved, who knows what else will be out there, but the Bandit looks like the real deal.

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 09:40:13 AM »
Listen to your fellow B1250 riders here-  We love them!

A good report from the May 07 Motorcyclist sold me enough to make me research it, then log on here, then go sit on one...then bought it.  I am new to motorcyle ownership- but I have ridden a few- and I think I bought the best bike, that I could, for less than 8,000 bucks!
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Motorcyclist Comparo Bandit to K1200R Sport
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 11:55:56 PM »
Quote from: "Tarheel_Rider"
Just got my Motorcyclist rag in the mail and they ran a comparison between the Bandit and K12R Sport.  The BMW wins on the drag strip and for technology gadetry and not much else.  

The conclusion "For everybody else, the most significant twist is how close the Bandit comes to delivering filet mignon for the price of flank steak . . . the Bandit delivers more motorcycle for less money than anything in anybody else's showroom."

If the press generates sales, the Bandit should be an all time winner, every article I read is glowing positive.  So far in the rags I've spotted, it's beaten the FZ1, and the K12R Sport (twice).  

Saving my pennies, of course, by the time I get them saved, who knows what else will be out there, but the Bandit looks like the real deal.

Heh! The K12R Sport Beemer makes 109 bhp. Dunno if this is shaft or RWHP, but I KNOW that at least one '99 Bandit makes 111.4 dyno'ed RWHP. Might be a close race, eh? Now lookit the prices for both bikes. No Contest!

Herb

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Horsepower
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 01:25:21 PM »
I have a friend that has a brand new Bandit too and he has a little shop that he does all his work in. He did a "tweek" tune and put new "two brothers" exhaust on it and said that it dyno'ed at 115 RWHP... Your are right if those numbers are correct. Might be a better race than BMW would give the Bandit credit for...Banditone1250s... :taz:
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »
For the price difference between the bikes, the Bandit could probably be making 200+Hp  :bandit:
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Re: Bandit Horsepower
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 06:22:29 AM »
Quote from: "banditone1250s"
I have a friend that has a brand new Bandit too and he has a little shop that he does all his work in. He did a "tweek" tune and put new "two brothers" exhaust on it and said that it dyno'ed at 115 RWHP... Your are right if those numbers are correct. Might be a better race than BMW would give the Bandit credit for...Banditone1250s... :taz:

To be perfectly honest, I don't care an iota about which bike has more HP whether at the crank or the rear wheel. These figures are just academic and only worth discussing over a drink with your friends in the local bar. Power output is just one aspect of what makes a bike good (though torque and the shape of the torque curve is probably far more important in a real world scenario) - weight, size, handling, ergonomics, comfort etc. all play a big role and, not least of all, the skill of the rider.

To me, bike riding is not about comparing one bike with another on a dragstrip. It's about the amount of enjoyment that might be extracted from actually riding the bike on a variety of roads under a range of conditions. Of course, some people might get more pleasure talking about HP in the local bar but that's just bragging, not riding.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
SteelD - it all depends on the rider.  One person cares about the torque- other wanna blaze a trail with their hair on fire- then there are those like me that want something that does both well.  This is most of us...if we were one of those other mindsets, we'd have cruisers or gsxr1000's.   A Bandit that makes 80 lt lbs, but only 75 hp, wouldn't be near the fun that our 80 lt lbs/ 100+ hp is.;)

Horsepower is always good as long as you don't sacrifice the tq to get it.  I am willing to bet the a pipe and tune would boost both.
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 10:20:38 AM »
I agree totally.  Alot of people in the US agree with you too.  This is why the v-twin is the motorcycle engine of choice.  Torque is a good thing.  There are photo's of a sport bike with a 3-cylinder diesel engine from a VW Lupo which would be a beast if the company hadn't gone out of business.  I had bought a KLR with the hopes of dropping in the diesel military engine in it at some point.  The bike was NOT comfortable for me...and I got rid of it.  My previous bike was an FZ6.  I dumped that after 4 months.  Something about the way I fit on the bike didn't work and I didn't enjoy revving the engine into the stratosphere every time I needed to get going in a hurry.  I found myself riding my wife's bike all the time at that point...it was more comfortable, sounded better and had much more mid-range grunt.
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline Tarheel_Rider

• New user!
What about the handlebars?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 08:22:17 AM »
All the reviews I've read on the Bandit (and I've read everyone I can get my hands on) mention the handlebar as an issue.  In  Motorcyclist they say "Average-sized riders will be happy with the Bandit's sensibly upright ergos, with the notable exception of an awkward upward kink in the relatively narrow handlebar we grew to hate.  Tall types may wish for for more room between the seat and said handlebar."  

Other rags say, just swap out the handlebar, but they don't mention any suggestions for what to replace it with.  Way ahead of my headlights here, but wondering if you early adopters have had the same issue and/or if you have replacement bar suggestions?  

Joel

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 08:37:30 AM »
I don't know what reviews you've read but on the UK side of the pond, nobody has complained about the bars. They tend to complain about the seat if anything.

I have no problem with my bars so far and a lot depends on what you are used to - if you come from a race rep. they will be too high. If you come from a cruiser they will be too low.

I wouldn't worry about it myself. Get it and use it and if after a period you decide you don't like them then they can easily be swapped out. What pleases me may not please you and vice versa so it's really a case of trying it out. If all the reviews can find to complain about are the bars and seat then it says a lot for the rest of the bike. It's a peach.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline Tarheel_Rider

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:33:56 AM »
Quote from: "SteelD"
I don't know what reviews you've read but on the UK side of the pond, nobody has complained about the bars. They tend to complain about the seat if anything.

I have no problem with my bars so far and a lot depends on what you are used to - if you come from a race rep. they will be too high. If you come from a cruiser they will be too low.

I wouldn't worry about it myself. Get it and use it and if after a period you decide you don't like them then they can easily be swapped out. What pleases me may not please you and vice versa so it's really a case of trying it out. If all the reviews can find to complain about are the bars and seat then it says a lot for the rest of the bike. It's a peach.

Well said, that is the truth.

I thought Cycle World had the same comment on the bars but when I reread the article, it mentioned something called "clakity-clack twistgrip" - whatever that is.  It compared the Bandit to the FZ1 and CW's conclusion "If you have an eye for cutting-edge style or lean more toward a supersport without the lower back pain, then the FZ1 is the bike for you.  If, however, you thirst for real-world power, classic style, refinemnt and broader versatility, Suzuki's Bandit is the one."

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 09:45:30 AM »
Quote from: "Tarheel_Rider"
it mentioned something called "clakity-clack twistgrip" - whatever that is.

The throttle tube had too much slop on the bar.

Since no one else has mentioned this - in the press or from our owners, I suspect this is a defect to that particular bike.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »
And remember, before you change handlebars (if the stock ones do actually bother you) try rotating the bars forward and bachwards first. This really changes the angle of your wrists and you may find that a simple change is all that is required.

Also remember to adjust the levers so that they are in line with your arms, so that your fingers don't need to reach "up" or "down" in your normal riding position.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »
I do have a little issue with the bars. I have Carpel Tunnel in both wrists, so I am pretty particular about the way my hand rest on the bars. I have tried moving the bars back and it made things a little better, but I still have an issue with it. I have another set of bars that I am going to try. They have a little bit lower rise than the ones on the Bandit now, and they have a little differant angle on the grips.

Rider also mentioned the bars in their review. The bandit was also in the running for Rider's Motorcycle of the Year in Rider. I have been very happy with the bike. Great bike for the money.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »
Quote from: "SteelD"

Agreed. No 2 people have identical preferences when it comes to making a bike their own.

For example, I put on a set of bars intended for the GS-1150 because I installed a tall windshield in place of the "S" fairing (got tired of eating bugs, dirt & rocks). This change put too much weight on the wrists (no more wind pushing me back). I got this bar fitted without replacing any of the brake lines EXCEPT for the short one between the front brake cylinder and the Y connection.  

I really wanted to put on a "Superbar", but then I'd have had to replace all the hydraulic lines (too many $).  I have the Suzuki gel seat too, but this returned close to zero improvement. Must be the shape and location that makes the Bandit seat do what it does. If anyone has lowered the seat height substantially, I'd like to have your opinion on whether or not it's an improvement. By the way, I'm 6'-2", so inseam height is not MY problem.

A further effort to make the bike more comfy on long rides had me mounting a set of folding footpegs on top of the Suzuki case guards. The occasional change of leg position makes much more difference in comfort than the gel seat ever did. With this setup, I can go a complete tankful without stopping to stretch & walk around.

When the temps hit 90+, I found out that sitting on the "hump" in the middle of the seat helps me out. Slide back and try it when you get "numb-butt" or "monkey-butt".

In the meantime, get out and ride every chance you get. Practice makes perfect, as doctors say.  :motorsmile:

Herb