Author Topic: Failed emmisions  (Read 3117 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:24:46 AM »
I took my 03 B12 to emmsions for the first time and it failed!  it was fine for hyrdocarbons, but failed the carbon monoxide.  I was so pissed! :taz:   I know of a few things that I could do to help it out, but the idea upsets me and it is a guess game if I do enough to fix the problem.  I sure as hell ain't going to pay a stealer to fix/break it.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline doublenaughtspy

• Board Homesteader!
Gas
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »
I can't believe you have to pass emmissions on a bike.  That sucks.   :duh:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 09:34:32 PM »
Wow... are you running the stock exhaust, or aftermarket stuff?  :shock:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:23:55 PM »
In AZ, depending on where you live, you have to do emmisions.  It does suck too.  I have a holeshot pipe and jet kit.  It also has the pair valve blocked.  I will have to do some stuff this weekend and try again Monday.  I think max on carbon monoxide was 5.50 and I was 8.35.  Hopefully a few changes will fix the problem.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:25:04 AM »
Lucky for me, Pa. doesn't have emmision test for bikes.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Failed emmisions
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »
AFAIK, AZ is the only one.
Not even the emissions nazis of CA test m/c's.

In WA, they test emissions, or not, depending on where you live, too... but WA doesn't test m/c's.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
Failed emmisions
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:06:45 PM »
Yeah, I failed emissions too with the B4 and it took me forever to get the bike into good running order.  Ran great when I opened the throttle, but had an idle miss that caused me to fail on the hydrocarbons (only at idle).  

So for the few months the bike was out of commission, I commuted with the 15mpg mustang instead of the 42 mpg bike!   :annoy:  Good work on saving the environment Arizona!   :clap:

I suppose in the long run, it worked out ok because it never did idle well.  And I got to learn how to rebuild the Mikunis, balance them, remove/replace them after turning air/fuel screws a half dozen times or so...Hehe.  Just chapped my hide a little, cause it only failed at idle, and 90% of my commute is on the freeway...not to mention the fact that it's a freaking 400cc motorcycle!   :roll:

OK, done ranting.  Good luck on getting it all sorted out Solman!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 01:37:56 AM »
I got it to pass emmissions yesterday!!!! :grin:   I changed my air filter which was ready to be changed anyways.  I also changed the oil and unblocked my pair valve hose.  Max was 5.5 for carbon monoxide and I got 4.88.  Good enough for me!  So Monday I will go to the DMV to get my tags swapped over to AZ.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 04:15:49 PM »
Quote from: "solman"
In AZ, depending on where you live, you have to do emmisions.  It does suck too.  I have a holeshot pipe and jet kit.  It also has the pair valve blocked.  I will have to do some stuff this weekend and try again Monday.  I think max on carbon monoxide was 5.50 and I was 8.35.  Hopefully a few changes will fix the problem.

I would guarentee that you will not pass any emissions test with a jet kit & the pair system blocked. This is the reason your bike was like it was at stock. (Lean)  It is also the reason they are not making the air cooled B-12 anymore.

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 10:09:52 PM »
I'll wager he passes..hehe.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Failed emmisions
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 10:55:35 PM »
Quote from: "rkfire"
I'll wager he passes..hehe.

I got it to pass emmissions yesterday!!!!

Yes, I did!