Author Topic: Bandit Hard Bags set-up  (Read 34634 times)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Bandit Hard Bags set-up
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
I was in the local dealership yesterday, and they had an 08 1250 with suzuki hard side bags and rack on display.

I was looking at the connect points and such of that OEM set-up and started to thinking that that same set up should fit the 2nd generation bike also (provided the frame is the same or similar). The lower points connect to the first nut of the bracket that holds on the passenget pegs and the higher points connect to the top of the rear passenger handle or TC rack.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Bandit Hard Bags set-up
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »
FWIW - The Givi site lists different p/n's for the 2G & 3/4G bikes.

Like you said, a casual glance sure does make it look like the newer stuff would fit anyway.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:29:20 AM »
FYI guys

Givi stuff is 1st class. NO leaks and tough as nails. It is Not light to carry up flights of stairs though.

Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »
I'm extremely happy with my SW-Motech quick connnect/disconnect toprack and sideracks with SHAD hard bags. IMO, this particular set up is very hard to beat for the money. I really like the option of being able to quickly remove the racks with a quarter from my pocket when I'm not using the bags...a much cleaner look than some of the other set ups out there.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »
I'm extremely happy with my SW-Motech quick connnect/disconnect toprack and sideracks with SHAD hard bags. IMO, this particular set up is very hard to beat for the money. I really like the option of being able to quickly remove the racks with a quarter from my pocket when I'm not using the bags...a much cleaner look than some of the other set ups out there.
Did you get the  complete set-up at one place or at different places? if different places, was there any particular fitting it to allow for the SHAD bags?.. I had never heard of SHAD prior to this thread, who makes them and where do they originate??
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »
I purchased the SW-Motech racks from twistedthrottle.com and the bags from adventuremotousa.com

I hope this hyperlink works...so you can view some of the SHAD products. Like I said, for the money they are hard to beat. I have had mine for 2 years with no problems. They are made in Spain and very comparable to Givi, but less money.

http://http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99331
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:54:58 PM by Groundpounder »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »
The shop/guy in that thread is:

http://www.adventuremotousa.com/
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »
I purchased the SW-Motech racks from twistedthrottle.com and the bags from adventuremotousa.com

I hope this hyperlink works...so you can view some of the SHAD products. Like I said, for the money they are hard to beat. I have had mine for 2 years with no problems. They are made in Spain and very comparable to Givi, but less money.

http://http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99331

So, you must of ordered:
KFT.05.067.100    SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sideracks (Suzuki GSF1200 & GSF1200S Bandit, '01-'05) for Givi, TraX ALU-BOX, & Krauser sidecases $229.99          
QLS.00.046.100    SW-MOTECH Keyed Locking Quick-Lock Fasteners (pair) $39.99       
KFT.00.152.115    SW-MOTECH sidecase adapter kit for Quick-Lock sideracks (Shad Motorcases) $49.99

and

DOBS00 SH42 Sidecase Set for $284.99?
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:10 PM »
It was two years ago when I purchased the items, so I'll do my best attempting to recall exactly what I bought. I definitely bought the racks from twistedthrottle.com and according to their web site, I purchased the following items:

SW-MOTECH Alu-rack Toprack / GPT.05.299.100 for $119.99 plus the SHAD topcase adapter for $35.

SW-MOTECH Quick Lock Sideracks / KFT.05.067.100 for $299.99 plus the SHAD sidecase adapters for $49.99

Then, I ordered four (4) SHAD cases from adventuremotousa.com as follows:

SH42 (3 ea) 2 side cases and one top case (for my extended trips)

SH25 - a very nice & compact case for daily use (barely holds my helmet & gloves)

Another nice feature with the SHAD products is the ability to easily swap the guts from the key locks, so you can lock/unlock all of the cases with a single key. Anyway, like I said, I've had them for 2 years and they're holding up extremely well. I've traveled 600 miles in a day, averaging 75-80 miles an hour with all 3 of the SH42s attached without any problems.

I use the SH25 just about every day to carry my lunch and odds & ends to work. I've done 90 plus with it attached and never encountered a problem. Several of my riding buddies have purchased the SH25 case after seeing mine and seem very content with the product as well.

BTW, the guys at adventuremotousa were easy to deal with and even gave me free shipping for purchasing the SH42s as a complete set. Perhaps if anyone else is using SHAD cases, they can share their experience as well.

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:18:25 PM »
It was two years ago when I purchased the items,

Could you do me a favour?..take a few pics for me?. I'm interested in the connect points of the luggage to their respective rack areas (both side racks and top rack sw motech). I see twisted throttle sells the shad kit to go with both side and top rack fittings, now do they attach to the racks and then the Plate/s that is supplied from shad  with each case attach to that? or are the include plates from shad not used?

I've just recieved the Ok from my wife to pursue the same "tri" set-up as you, should come in for everything at just under a grand. I Promised to give her my Krauser top case and rack for her B6 in return. LOL!
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »
No problem, I'll take some pics of my entire set up this weekend and post the photos as soon as I can.

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 01:01:13 AM »
Hey Groundpounder, another Q if you will please!: The Sw motech adapter for SHAD luggage: I see an "Erik Stephens" , an author on the Twisted Throttle site actually recommends against the use of this SW motech plate as top case comes with free plate anyway. see link below

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/view/120

He says, 
Quote from: Stephens
"SW-MOTECH also offers a SHAD adapter plate for top cases in both metal and plastic versions. We do not currently recommend this plate for the following reasons:
(1) The SW-MOTECH plate retails for $30; the SHAD plate is free with purchase of the topcase;
(2) The SW-MOTECH plastic plate is more flexible than the SHAD plate, offering less stability; and
(3) The SW-MOTECH plate is not compatible with the SHAD light kit.

What are your thoughts on this? and if this is so, what, if anything comes with the S42 sides cases, and if anything  like connection plates come with the SHAD side cases, do you just not use them in favour of the SW-MOTECH sidecase adapter kit for Quick-Lock sideracks that you purchased from TT ?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:03:07 AM by Snubnose »
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 11:59:22 AM »
Here are a few pics of the SHAD set up on my bike. I tried to capture what the bike looks like when I'm riding around without the bags and only the mounting tabs attached. Then, you have a picture of the racks with the SHAD adapters. And finally what the bike looks like with all of the bags attached. As for your questions above, I'll have to get back with you. I have to take another look. Because one top rack is definitely better than the other...I just to verify which is which.

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
Here are a few pics of the SHAD set up on my bike.

Thanks alot for all your slog (help). Guess what? I have ANOTHER question: The relocation of the back blinkers (indicators), is that an additional bracket behind the license plate bracket they attach to?

cheers mate!
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 03:22:37 PM »
I took another look at my top case mount and believe it or not, I actually used a combination of the two top racks. I really like the SW-MOTECH quick disconnect feature. However, the SHAD adapter plate fits the case better. IMO, they're like most products out there...they both have their pros and cons. It's really a matter of preference. I can tell you that the SW-MOTECH racks are very beefy and a quality product.

Also, you will have to relocate your rear turn signals in order to clear the sidecases. This bracket is supplied with the quick-lock sideracks and also serves as one of the rear attaching points. Here are a couple of more pics of the just the mounting tabs. Let me know if you have any more questions.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:24:27 PM by Groundpounder »