Author Topic: Bandit Hard Bags set-up  (Read 34629 times)

Offline stocksj

• New user!
Re: Bandit Hard Bags set-up
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »
I just bought a Bandit 1250 ABS last night. I know I'll need a top case for hauling work junk. The Shad case look great. Are there anyone else making decent cases for someone on a budget?

Thanks

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
You killed it with that last word "budget".

Of course, it all depends on your budget.  I had the Suzuki Hardcase bags (side and top with color inserts) mounted for $1100.00 but I'm sure if I had bought them myself and mounted them up I would have saved some money.  The problem is I needed them bought with the bike so the loan would include the cases.   Why?  my budget.  :annoy:
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 01:13:50 AM »
I just bought a Bandit 1250 ABS last night. I know I'll need a top case for hauling work junk. The Shad case look great. Are there anyone else making decent cases for someone on a budget?

Thanks

In the end, when it all wraps up, no matter what set-up you end up with...the difference between "budget" hard bag/s with rack system and that of , say Givi or Krauser or kappa etc. is about a 10 to 20 %, maybe 30% initial savings IF you push it. If you're hauling "junk", you may want to think more about durability, and that rules out alot of "budget" bags (if you think saving $50 on a unit is worth it). Krauser, kappa, Givi, hepco becker are all quality cases and will do what you ask of them ( and look good to boot!) and you wont be spending much more at all with the better quality, tested, and better known bags. (Plus , better known bags have better resale).

I have heard that Shad is good, better than alot of stuff out there, but not better than the others I mention here. This said, if saving anywhere between $20 - $50 is important?.. more important that rep, style, superior fitment and quality, then Shad hard luggage is probably the only luggage I would consider (I did actually consider it) before any of the other no-name , flimsy, plastic crap that struggles to actually classify itself as motorcycle ( hello?.. durable?) luggage at all.

I ended up with Givi and my wifes B6 ended up with my "older" Krauser top case set-up. After all the set-up costs were factored in with the "extra fitment kits for shad luggage" as well, I think my price for a "3" case system with the Shad luggage and the sw-motech rack system was about $100 less than the same system with Givi E46 monokey top case and E41 monokey/and keyless side panniers with silver satin finish on all 3.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:35:08 AM by Snubnose »
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline stocksj

• New user!
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:56 AM »
When I was at the dealership finishing the paperwork on the bike 2 days ago I had the Suzuki top case and mounting bracket priced quoted and came to $530. I didn't bother with side case as it would have probably took it up to a grand.

Nothing nice is ever cheap.

Offline bottomfeeder

• Board Regular!

Offline plbandit

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Soon to be a Touring Bandit
    • ROAM :
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »
stocksj,   For budget cases try jcwhitney.com

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductBrowse?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2010969&productId=2010969&catalogId=10111&N=111%2B10211%2B600010293&rlid=home_best
I have a givi top case also ...

+1

I use the jc whit's as side cases and got them for about $170 compared to almost $400 for the equiv e360's. I know they're not on par for quality but they are very usable and have served me very well. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again cause I can't justify spending $700 for side cases.
-Darek
'01 Suzi Bandit 1200s Red
ROAM : - My trip blog

Offline bonanaza

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
What sort of rack did you use with the JC Whitney side cases?

Offline oldandslow

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
My only experience is with Givi's (many years), so I can't comment on JC Whitney's.

But I CAN say, with confidence, the the Givi 52 liter topcase does an admirable job as a frame slider  :shock: :grin:
Rob in HMB (escaped from KC)
'02 B12, Givi E52 topcase, National Cycle Plexistar2, Kimpex grip heaters, Suzuki case guards

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »
So do their Monokey side cases. 

Not that I'd know . . .  :embarassed:
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »
I know this is an old thread. However, since then I have sold my bandit and the SHAD luggage set up pictured in this thread will be for sale. I'll be posting the items shortly in the classified section, as well as the Corbin seat...stay tuned in if you're interested.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Offline plbandit

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Soon to be a Touring Bandit
    • ROAM :
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 04:53:08 PM »
What sort of rack did you use with the JC Whitney side cases?

Sorry about the LOOONG delay haha.

I used the SW Motech rack.  I'm having second thoughts on the cases though. Quality issues are aplenty. I feel like my hand is forced a bit though, I really can't afford the givis.

Thus far the issues haven't been that bad, but a pin just fell out of one of the hinges.. which was like ughhh.. not again. So now I've gotta fine something to replace it and stay in place and not rust.
-Darek
'01 Suzi Bandit 1200s Red
ROAM : - My trip blog

Offline Ga-Bandit

• Board Regular!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »
I haven't seen a how to or pics for the bags on a bandit so here's mine:

Use blue thread lock on everything! Directions are on all three sheets that you'll need to decode..............

Take the rear passenger peg bolts out and loosen the fronts. Make sure your can is cool enough to touch.

Take the grab rail off. Take the blinkers off. They route up behind your tool kit. Just need to take the 8mm bolt off and unplug.

Intall the top rack w/o the rear bolt (old grab rail location) since it will have a spacer and will mount the side racks. It'll be mounted w/ the 2 rear passenger pegs bolts and the forward bolts from the grab rail location.

Use parts to cap off your old blinker locations unless your flush mounting them (picture below).

Loosely install the side racks starting with the middle, the front, and then install the spaced out rear and torque it down, then torque the other two bolts.

Remove/replace the front rear pegs and use a spacer washer on the backside so it'll stay aligned w/ the spaced out rear (due to the side racks).

Install back bar that connects the two side racks (picture below).

I recommend waiting on using the plastic caps on the bolt heads so you can recheck the torque after a few miles - up to you.

Cuse, cuse some more because now they want you to tuck your blinkers out through the rear taillight - how cheap and gaudy looking.

Install blinkers on side mounts.

Recuse the tucking of the blinker leads. Tuck blinker leads under taillight or be creative but hook 'em up so you'll have blinky blinks. I know guys that drilled holes and put rubber gromlets in and ran them through that way with a squirt of silicone)

Wait a couple of hours or overnight for the thread lock to work. You can mount and un mount the bags a few times to stay amuzed and dream of cargo carrying.

Mount bags and enjoy ride.

Ride to mountains and BUST some unsuspecting sportbikes a new one.

Ride home laughing and gestering as you ride w/ your head getting thrown back and forth from laughter as you relive that moment when the Gixxer caught up and asked...what is that???

Watch your wifes eyes roll as you tell her the story.

I've posted this also on: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34138

and I've included one of my puppy because he loved to ride when he was smaller. He'd actually lean and turn with the bike and cause it's my story....Ride safe and remember the golden rule.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:18:23 PM by Ga-Bandit »

Offline Ga-Bandit

• Board Regular!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 11:23:16 PM »
stocksj,   For budget cases try jcwhitney.com

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductBrowse?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2010969&productId=2010969&catalogId=10111&N=111%2B10211%2B600010293&rlid=home_best
I have a givi top case also ...

+1

I use the jc whit's as side cases and got them for about $170 compared to almost $400 for the equiv e360's. I know they're not on par for quality but they are very usable and have served me very well. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again cause I can't justify spending $700 for side cases.

I know a few people that have the JCWhitneys and are completely satisfied. One of them later found a givi with scratches on feebay for cheap ans was able to polish/bondo/paint them completely out and they now look better than mine. If you paint them be sure to use proper cleaning (prep) and a plastic promoter= great results from a can.

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »
Just wanted to pass along that my entire luggage system pictured in this thread is up for auction on eBay. Seriously doubt if you will find a better set up for the money. Check out if you're interested, and/or email me if you have questions.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!