Author Topic: Chain confirmation  (Read 1834 times)

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Chain confirmation
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
So the chain on the bandit I bought was worn out. And by worn out I mean it easily slips over the rear sprocket. I was talking to a customer service rep and he recommended the M525-114 - RK Chain 525 M Standard Chain.
I got it, since the wallet was tight, but wanted to confirm two things.
1) is this chain ok (i understand it may not last a long time but thats fine)
2) I couldn't find the master link on the current chain to save my life, so I wanted to make sure that using the clip master clip supplied is ok.

Thanks in advance.

Offline phoenix

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Chain confirmation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
That chain shold be okay as long as it's reguarly cleaned and oiled.  If it were me, I'd spend a bit more for an o-ring chain for longevity's sake.

The clip vs rivet master is personal preference.  Rivet is superior in strength and reliability *IF* installed correctly which many I've seen are not.  I currently use a clip style and have for the last few years without any issues.  Although I also do a "clip check" as part of my pre-ride inspection.

If your chain is in that rough of shape, how are the sprockets?  New chain on worn sprockets isn't the best recipe for reliability.

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Chain confirmation
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
Thanks pheonix, was going to get a more expensive one but I really don't know much about the chain differences, and reading on here in the general section everyone defends what they think is best.

As for the sprockets, I went ahead and replaced those as well.
Now waiting on a new cir clip for the front sprocket since the one that cheap cycle has on their parts list as a replacement is about 10 sizes too small.

I'm leaning towrads the sprockets were the original ones on the bike (22,000 miles), as front had some type of rubber guide on the sides of it and the JT steel one (only one I could find that said it would fit) doesn't. 

Pertaining to the front sprocket, is it normal to have a little play when the sprocket is on the spline (I put the original circlip on just to get a fit up) and the sprocket has a little left right movement on the spline itself.