Author Topic: GSXR K4 Swingarm Swap  (Read 60131 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
Re: GSXR K4 Swingarm Swap
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 07:08:15 AM »
Thanks Yoda  :thumb:

Hopefully i shall have some more progress photos soon, i've just been and picked up some material for the undertray, so roll on the weekend!

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
So many things to do, so many obstacles!

Got a couple of bits done over the course of the weekend.

The undertray is 80% finished, just needs trimming and final fettling

Got my new Talon 520 rear sprocket to start the joy of chain alignment, and as soon as i fitted it i could see it wouldn't work easily. Its bang in line with the frame so the hub is going to need some attention.

I think i shall have to follow TJS' form and grind a little of the frame web away to take the chain run but most of it is going to need moving on the hub/sprocket carrier.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »
Well, after my initial panic about chain alignment, it might not be as bad as i first thought.

If i can claim back 4mm from the sprocket carrier and grind out the frame by around 4mm to give a chain run we should be good to go.

I'm going to have to look at the doubled up welded front sprocket rather than the talon special offset job as my budget just isn't going to stretch to it right now.

The new chain should be with me tomorrow then i can have a look in a bit more depth

I realise this is a bit boring without any pictures but with the weather and dark the way it is its not been very conducive to photo taking

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
We seam to be back to the little details again! :lol: ..the top yoke is :thumb:...If only I had mates like that' though it must have still cost a considerable sum? .

I’m waiting to see your undertray

I too follow TJS' form and grind a little of the frame web away and had the hub/sprocket carrier milled.

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
Yep, problems problems Unique  :rofl:

Actually it's coming on. Undertray needs a bit more work, not quite tidy enough for me yet.

The top yoke is bostin' as they say up this end of the country. I got a good deal at £120 but i suspect it would set you back around £180ish.

Same guy is going to machine the sprocket carrier hopefully after Christmas

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:07 AM »
Hey All, been a bit lazy over Christmas but i'm getting back into the swing of it now.

Had the sprocket carrier machined down for the new spangley sprocket.

I started off with 14/47 std gearing but due to the angle of the swingarm it ran directly through the gear change linkage so i've now swapped to 13/45.

Not massively different gearing and still very very close to the change rod but i think we can get away with it.

On the subject of sprockets, i worked out my offset and rather than pay Talon a large sum of money just yet i made my own offset sprocket.

Using the GSXR swingarm means a much bigger offset than the RF swingarm by all accounts, total depth of sprocket is around 24mm which equates to about an 18mm offset on the sprocket centre line.

I should work fine, although i am going to look at how much material i can take off the hub to move the sprocket carrier even further in board and do away with the offset front.

and welded

and on

Alignment is pretty good

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 05:49:22 AM »
I tried to fit the chain but as with the RF swap it became apparent that the frame was in the way so....

Up on the ramp

Swingarm out

And get busy with the grinder.

That's about where i'm up to at the moment, i'm hoping to have the frame cut outs finished by the weekend and the swingarm back in to fit the chain.

I also found a couple of points on the swingarm pivot where it touches the back of the engine so it will need a gentle tickle with the grinder.

Undertray and tail section mounting is pretty much there, then i need to look at extending the seat to hide the frame rails.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 12:50:31 PM »
Looking good Chris as usual and moving along too' More so then mine...

Good work on front sprocket  :thumb:

Derek

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 06:56:02 AM »
Thanks Unique,

It's coming along slowly, I wish i had more time to spend on it.

I've now 'massaged' the frame enough to get the chain on, and have cut it to length, just need to square up the rear wheel.

Next step is to take it all back out again, grind a little of the swingarm away where it touches the back of the engine and come up with a plan for the chain slider - not quite sure how i'm going to do this bit yet...

I will update when i have the back end finished

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2014, 03:53:57 PM »
I trimmed and cut a stock chain slider to fit. If that doesn't work; use a piece of Teflon sheet and bolt to stock holes on the swing arm. Drag race guys do that trick on their extended swing arms.
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
Thanks TJS  :thumb:

Hopefully get 5 minutes to have a look over the weekend

Offline jra61

• Giant Squid (genus: Architeuthis)
  • TURBO TYPER!
  • Time to get Wrench'n
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 01:18:20 AM »
 :thanks:, Thanks for putting this all together I've been wanting to upgrade my b12 swing-arm, didn't know where to start, not sure I'm going to, seems machinist intensive. I thought there was a lot more compatibility between earlier GSF's & GSXR's. Great photography :thumb:
B12sx - Stock, My 1st Suzuki

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 04:51:03 AM »
Hi JRA, no problems

There is a lot of compatibility between GSFs and GSXRs but mainly on the 600 and 1200 GSFs.

The 400 is quite a different kettle of fish hence the extra work.

Doing a 1200 swingarm swap is fairly easy but being able to make your own spacers/having a machinist is very helpful. A lot less hassle with chain runs etc

There's a good swingarm swap guide on the uk bandit forum in the tech section

Cheers

Chris

Offline jra61

• Giant Squid (genus: Architeuthis)
  • TURBO TYPER!
  • Time to get Wrench'n
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2014, 06:47:08 AM »
Thank You I'll go check-it out. :grin:
B12sx - Stock, My 1st Suzuki

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Hi All

Done a bit more on what seems like the only day it hasn't rained this year!

Chain is now on and aligned, chopped out the frame and modified the chain slider.

Also made a start on the seat infills got one done, now i need to make the other side

New battery in its hidey hole under the tail pod

Also waiting on some slightly longer dog bones and linkage bolts off a GSXR6 K2, which should help straighten out the top chain run

Slow but steady progress