Author Topic: I purchased one of those Argentinean CDI boxes on Ebay  (Read 5108 times)

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
I purchased one of those Argentinean CDI boxes on Ebay
« on: March 12, 2006, 05:07:52 PM »
It's still in transit.  This summer I'm going to travel on my b4 and it seemed like good insurance to have a backup zip-tied under the seat.  What pushed me over the edge to get it was that BikeBandit had OEM versions for nearly $500.  I spent just a little over $120 for mine.  When I get it, I'll install it and let others know how well it works.  Has anyone else purchased one of these?

The box

Duane

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 08:20:42 PM »
Cool!   :bigok: If it works, it's a pretty good bargain.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 08:50:45 PM »
It be great to have people share thier experiences with these:

http://www.carmo.nl/models/SUZUKI/GSF400%20Bandit.htm

http://www.cdiunit.co.uk/process.asp?make=SUZUKI&models=GSF400+BANDIT&Submit.x=49&Submit.y=8

or whatever other boxes they have had luck or loss with

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:30:48 AM »
I installed my new CDI, here are the pics:

Here is the box it came in.

It's solid, literally.  It's heavier than stock so I would guess it's filled with resin.  That's how we use to build electronics that would see hard usage when I worked at a sound company.  

I ran the engine with it installed and there was no difference.  I've put it in a ziplock bag and zip-tied it under the seat.  It's Kind of like an insurance policy now.

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:48:15 PM »
Rock on man

Thanks for being the test mule  :motorsmile:
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:09:25 AM »
so hows the box running so far?  any complaints?  I think i need a new cdi too.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:37:39 AM »
The CDI is running just fine, without incident.
Duane

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 12:18:48 AM »
has anyone else bought this cdi that can validate its reliability?

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:51 AM »
well, I took the plunge and ordered the cdi unit on ebay.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I get my bike running again.  I also have a 91' gsxr front end that i'm still getting new brake pads and tires for that i want to swap with.  I cant wait to get this thing running right.  It's been at least a year since ive ridden it.  im so anxious right now.   :thanks:   :beers:

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 01:32:52 PM »
i have bought the Argentinan CDI and it works flawlessly! Hmm i think i did about 7000km's with it, so that' already something :-)
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »
Part of my previous expertise was in hydraulics, pneumatics, and electronics. I don't know the specifications on that device but most solid state components even board components require some cooling. I would lose the plastic bad as it could imped cooling if required and actually hold water or moisture if trapped.

Quote from: "duane"
I've put it in a ziplock bag and zip-tied it under the seat.  It's Kind of like an insurance policy now.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 04:15:53 PM »
I would lose the plastic bad as it could imped cooling if required and actually hold water or moisture if trapped.

Uhhh... The new CDI is a backup, a spare.  It lives under my seat until I need it.  I keep it in a zip lock bag to keep dust and water off of it until it's needed.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
Somehow I missed that part LOL. Well anyway as they used to say on "Saturday Night Live" , Nevermind!

Quote from: "duane"
I would lose the plastic bad as it could imped cooling if required and actually hold water or moisture if trapped.

Uhhh... The new CDI is a backup, a spare.  It lives under my seat until I need it.  I keep it in a zip lock bag to keep dust and water off of it until it's needed.

Offline Kenyan01

• TURBO TYPER!
The CDI works perfectly!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 02:50:22 AM »
My battery got here, and I fixed my bike, and everything works well! Except my American wiring loom and my attempts to turn it into a euro loom!
Those mexican CDIs do work great. The starting is so instant, the bike runs well... idling is a problem but I am sure it is a revs/carb issue.
I am now looking for cash to buy a spare one like duane!
Best regards,
P.

Offline Kenyan01

• TURBO TYPER!
CDIs are interchangeable, at least some!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 02:45:27 AM »
Hi!
I have always wanted to know why a CDI from one Bandit 400 would not work on another.
I have learnt from my own experience that the CDIs are somewhat interchangeable. I bought the Argentinian CDI, sent them the correct number on my original CDi but they posted a different number with the reassurance that it will work. It works, perfectly!
In the process of installing my new wiring loom, I realized my signal generator wire was cut, and as I was removing it to solder it back together, I found the reason why CDIs should be interchangeable. The signal generator picks signals from a plate like thingy inside the LH engine cover that has (5 small and 1 big) projections off it, that is run by the crankshaft, telling the position of the pistons in the cyliders. So, as long as the CDI is from a similiar model bike, it will pick the same signal and relay the same info to the CDI...
May be I am wrong, but in my case it worked. Anyone with a different view of this?
Patrick.