Author Topic: Bandit frozen to death.  (Read 2752 times)

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit frozen to death.
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
The B4 doesnt deal with the cold very well, does it ?
I just about got it started a couple of days ago, but it was running on 2 possibly 3 cylinders and it died after 30 seconds. Tried it again today and its turning over, but not a spark to be seen !
I dont think its seen weather like this before.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit frozen to death.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
Mine started up first fire after 4 months of standing a few days ago. The trick is to drain the carbs once you lay it up, then turn to prime before you want to start it.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
In sub-zero weather by the time the bike warms up I'm frozen and ready to head in.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:49:14 PM »
What a pain in the arse. Got the airbox filter and gauze out, got the plugs out, cleaned them and then put them in the oven for 10 minutes on low to dry them out and get them warmed up, drained the carbs.
Replaced everything and put a good squirt of easy start down the buttefly's and she fired up, a bit reluctant at 1st but kept her going for 5 minutes and she seemed ok.
tried to star her up again.......nothing, not having it at all....She was running 20 seconds earlier.
Sometimes bandits can really piss you off :annoy:

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
How old is your gasoline (petrol)?

I don't know the specs for fuel in UK, but the concept will still be the same. Summer and early fall fuel will have too low a vapour pressure (not enough light ends - parts of the fuel that vapourize at low temp) to allow the engine to start easily. Vapour pressure is adjusted seasonally, since too high a vapour pressure (lots of evaporation) causes vapour lock in carbs in the summer and adds to the ground level ozone issue. Too low a vapour pressure usually results in hard starting in the winter.

Try some fresh fuel before you get carried away with anything else. Usually you don't need to get rid of the old stuff, just add a bunch of fresh stuff and see if that helps.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
Drained the old petrol out and replaced it with brand new, and......still wont start.
Even took the petcock valve out and gave it a clean.
I think i am going to have to admit defeat and take it to the garage.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:54:17 PM »
Make sure the battery has a good charge. The cold is hard on batteries.

The high amp draw required to start will sometimes not leave enough juice to fire the coils. Also make sure to use the prime position on the petcock for a second or two to ensure the bowels are filled and not waste cranking amps.

Worst case: starting fluid will work.