Author Topic: Maniac, did you get your bike back yet?  (Read 9685 times)

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
Maniac, did you get your bike back yet?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
same thing happened to me & my mazda and local supposed
cool japanese mechanic, he was cool even helped with parts
until I left the car with him and then he screwed up.
he wasn't ready to admit that he did not know
much about anything besides civics and camrys

i think mechanics have become too secure in
the routine jobs on the same old models that they
can't be trusted to odd unique products
and acts of brainstorming to fix a problem

except for gsxr400 racer of course
who does nothing but research and share

I still have the mazda dead in my garage though
unless i sell my house i don't think i'll ever give it up

don't think i could ever let go of the b4 either
even when it gives me problems its still better than payments
it looks better than all the other small engine bikes
available in the USA and women love it!

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 05:04:46 PM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
Honestly, I don't know if I want the bike back. It's a great little bike, but I can afford something new now. Maybe it's time to just do that.

At least get the bike back and part it out, there are some cool parts on that bike.  That should get you some of your 'investment' back.
Never give someone the satisfaction of screwing you AND getting to keep your parts  :wink:
GSXR cams would sell rather quickly around here, same with the 33mm carbs, exhaust and USD fork!
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline DogBoy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 06:17:13 PM »
Quote from: "JmuRiz"
Honestly, I don't know if I want the bike back. It's a great little bike, but I can afford something new now. Maybe it's time to just do that.

At least get the bike back and part it out, there are some cool parts on that bike.  That should get you some of your 'investment' back.
Never give someone the satisfaction of screwing you AND getting to keep your parts  :wink:
GSXR cams would sell rather quickly around here, same with the 33mm carbs, exhaust and USD fork!

+1.
91 Bandit 400
89 FZR400
96 YZF600

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2006, 08:23:09 PM »
Now it seems the bike doesn't run, and hasn't run since I rode it into the shop in August. He's blaming the camshafts that GSXRRacer sold me, saying that they don't work in the motor and are causing low compression.

Since those are GK73a cams, I find that to be highly unlikely. More likely is that he bent the valves while adjusting them, and now they aren't closing all the way. Anyway, he went on and on about how I've 'ruined' my bike, .

Wow just seen this !  Crazy shit man. Definatly not the cams there is so much room with stock clearances that i ran 2 intakes with 10 thousandths milled of the cylinder ,in a bandit 400 motor i might add. And i cant beleive he said that you RUINED the bike? WTF. Vlave adjustment causes low compression (being to tight) maybe rings are done (need a big bore kit?) LOL cheap shot there! Maybe he ran it tomany times on the dyno lean and burnt up the rings. Maybe cause it sat out side rings rusted up or it needs a valve job.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 09:43:45 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
And i cant beleive he said that you RUINED the bike? WTF.

Me either. I mean, didn't he do all the work? Every step of the way I discussed stuff with him. I asked if he thought something was a good idea, and if he said yes, I went ahead with it. I was told he could make it work, now it doesn't, and it's my fault? :roll:

Vlave adjustment causes low compression (being to tight) maybe rings are done (need a big bore kit?) LOL cheap shot there! Maybe he ran it tomany times on the dyno lean and burnt up the rings. Maybe cause it sat out side rings rusted up or it needs a valve job.

He did the valve adjustment on it, supposedly. Actually, from what he told me back in September, I believe he did it several times. A total of three times, I think, because he couldn't get them to stay adjusted. This is an interference engine, isn't it? Is it possible he bent the valves?

I don't know at this point, I'm going to call him again either tomarrow or Saturday. I have bigger fish to fry at the moment, I just got off the phone with the bank collection office. They are trying to say that I owe them $4000 on my car for insurance that they had to buy, and as such my payment is now $589 a month (which I only sent them the $360 this month). This is bullshit as well, because I have proof of insurance sitting right here and I remember them photocopying it. I had to go back out to the car to get it! :roll:

I'm hoping they aren't futzing up my credit report, because I'm trying to buy a house...

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »
Oh yeah, Jay, I may have to hit you up for reciepts on that front end and those cams. I have a suspicious feeling that this is going to end up in court, or at the very least, mediation.

Same for those carbs you sold me, Pitter. I'll let you guys know.  :thanks:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 04:30:34 AM »
Oh yeah, Jay, I may have to hit you up for reciepts on that front end and those cams. I have a suspicious feeling that this is going to end up in court, or at the very least, mediation.

Same for those carbs you sold me, Pitter. I'll let you guys know.  :thanks:

Todd - I'll be outta town for a week starting in a few mins (actually headed your way taking the kids to see Mickey).  PM me if you need anything and I'll get it to you late next week.

I'd get the bank at least the regular car payment with a note that you're not paying the ins.  Just my $.02.

GOOD LUCK!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 05:17:04 PM »
Ok, I swear he's not answering when I call now...

I just left a lengthy phone message with my mechanic, explaining to him that I was tired of waiting (7 months + now) and that I didn't appreciate him calling me an asshole on the phone the last time we spoke. I told him that I can think of three options at the moment.

Option 1: Fix the damn bike and return everything to me.

Option 2: Return the bike as is, plus the $550 already paid and all the parts I gave him and the money he got for selling the shock I provided him with (provide reciepts!)

Option 3: Purchase the bike and parts off me. I was asking $1250 when I took it to him, with the old front end on it. The front end I was asking $400 for. I purchased an exhaust, on his advice, for $100. Then there is the $550 I gave him, and the price he got for the shock he sold. I figure something like $2500 to $2700, and I provide him with the manual and stuff I have. This is the one I hope he takes, I have no way of transporting a broken bike.  :sad:

I'm going to type a letter up tomarrow and send it certified mail to his offices. Provided I can find his new address.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 10:12:21 AM »
And.... apparently he doesn't want to do any of those.

According to him, it's only been three months since he started work and he told me this when I dropped it off. I call bullshit on that, since initially he said a few weeks before he could get started, then he said it'd be done before Biketoberfest... then he just up and disappeared for a month.

The reason for the low compression was that the cams were off one tooth and the exhaust valves were too tight (good call on that, Racer). The engine still isn't running, and definatly hasn't been tuned. The new front end is on, but the headlight isn't mounted and there is no fender. According to him, the front end is way high and the ass end is way low (I suspect he's got it installed wrong), ruining the bike's handling dynamics.

I got lectured about all this extra work he had to do to make things work, and how he's not charging me for the -4- times he had to adjust cams/valves. If he couldn't do it the first time, why should I have to pay for the second, third, and fourth anyway? He never called when he ran into trouble, he just forged ahead, and now he claims I owe him like $1000 on top of the $550 I already gave him and the '96 Fox Double Clicker that I gave him new in a box (which he sold).

Or I can go pick the bike up as it sits right now, but there are parts missing and it doesn't run. Not to mention I have no way of transporting a bike across the state, or anywhere to store/work on it.

I don't even know where the bike, or this guy, is. He's supposedly in Lake City, but according to the Chamber of Commerce and his website he's still in his office in Orlando. A vacant building, now, I might add.

This is more of a pain in the ass than I need right now, and I don't have time nor resources to really devote to a drawn out fight about it. I'm supposed to call him back today or tomarrow with what I intend to do, and at the moment I'm leaning towards telling him to just go phuck himself  and buying a new bike. I sure as hell am not giving him more money

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 11:35:06 AM »
Ok, update...

Supposedly the bike is going to be dropped off at my house sometime this weekend, the mechanic is running a bike in this weekends race and is going to be in Daytona Beach. He just called me and told me the local bike wrecker offered him $1000 for the bike, but I don't think I'm going to take it. For one, I don't want to go through him, so I may call them myself to see what they'll give me for it.

Currently, as far as I know, the bike isn't running. It has compression though, and those GSXR carburators, so I figure it's either not getting fuel or spark. I'm leaning towards spark at the moment, I may fiddle with it a bit and see if I can't get her running.

Tonight after work I'm going to the bank to see about a loan on an '03 Honda 919 that is for sale nearby with 5500 miles and new tires. With any luck I can get decent financing on that. It isn't a Bandit, but it's still a naked, and at least it's not a Harley.  :lol:

That means one of two things is going to happen. Either I'm going to sell the bike to the local wreckers myself, and possibly part out the rest of the parts here and Ebay, or I may just part the entire bike out here and on Ebay. The only problem is that I don't really want to deal with shipping on either of the engines or the frame, so someone would have to pick those up at my place.

So keep your eyes peeled, folks! Providing my loan goes through and the bike actually does get dropped off, I'll be selling some good parts! I've got two engines (one that I know should run with GSXR 400 cams, one that I suspect can but haven't tried), the frame with new tires and the GSXR front end (clean FL title), a good gas tank thats been kreemed with a new petcock, GSXR 400 carburators, a stock header with a Supertrapp on it, and the Yoshimura race exhaust. Not to mention a good '93 Spark Controller, a non-leaking radiator, and all the other fiddly bits!

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2006, 01:04:04 PM »
before you part it mate, let me know take a pic i got a freind that needs a race bike!.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »
Oh and that guy not know how to time cams is just retarded . Sounds like he just got scared cause he heard gsxr 400, they time just like the B$ and look just like them to. I would have got a lawyer.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »
Oh and that guy not know how to time cams is just retarded . Sounds like he just got scared cause he heard gsxr 400, they time just like the B$ and look just like them to. I would have got a lawyer.

I thought about it, but what, I'd go after him for the $550 I paid him? Not really worth it, in my opinion, since it'll cost me more than that to get the money.

I'm fairly certian I can get the bike running easily enough. I'll get some pics of it when I get it back, I may clean it up a little first though. It's practically a race bike now, it's supposedly got Metzler M1s on it that are brand new, the Yoshimura race exhaust, GSXR400 cams, those GSXR400 carburators... I mean, short of your big bore kit, what else is there? (well, chain conversion I suppose...) Not to mention those GSXR USD forks are on it now... she does need a new rear shock, it's still got the stock one on there.

Hell, there is still a small chance I may hang onto her if I can get her running good. Most likely not, though, since I'm going to be selling the Mazda and using whatever bike I get as a Daily Driver (The one good thing about FL!) with a cheap truck or something for backup.

I will say that I'll miss you guys, though. Best group of motorheads on the net, in my opinion. Not a lot of BS.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2006, 01:42:19 PM »
IC I thought you still owed him more loot! cool keep me informed
thanks
jay

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »
IC I thought you still owed him more loot! cool keep me informed
thanks
jay

Oh, he tried to get another $1000 out of me, but that wasn't happening. I think he realized that I actually had a court case, because all of a sudden he started being -real- nice and has offered to bring the bike up and drop it off.  :lol:

Also, turns out he didn't sell that Fox twin-clicker, so I'm getting that back too. Much coolness on that, I may have to hang onto it.

2008 GSXR-750