Author Topic: spark plug cable  (Read 2681 times)

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
spark plug cable
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:12:59 PM »
my spark plug cable is all corroded and the caps may be bad too--i'm getting a big shock when i touch one of them and the bike isn't firing correctly.  i got some new cable from my mechanic and some new caps.  but does anybody on here know if the cable will just pull out of the ignition coils, or is it in there in a more permanant way.  my mechanic wasn't sure, but he said on the bandit 600 he knows you can just pull the cable out.  i don't want to screw up the coils if i'm not supposed to pull out the cable...

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: spark plug cable
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:32:59 PM »
The leads spin off like a screw. Do not yank them off, you'll have to then clean the threads off of the leads if you do which can be a PIA because they're recessed. This goes for the coils as well.

Install them with dielectric grease to seal them and if you're feeling really anal, you can silicone where the lead and the end meet to waterproof them. Check the crimps on the coil triggers as well while you're in there.

-Randy

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
hi randy--thanks for the details.  what do you mean by the coil triggers?  i'll use di-electric grease because i'm getting moisture in the caps right now--i think that's part of the problem. 

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 05:19:15 PM »
The triggers are the spade connectors on the coils. I'd make sure they still crimp tightly.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
Sounds electrifying...  :yikes:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol