Author Topic: RGV 250 swinger installed  (Read 6517 times)

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
RGV 250 swinger installed
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »
Finally got it done :grin:

I have replaced my GSXR 750 K2 shock for a 750W '91 model, the '91 is a much better shock for the B4! I need to get some proper clamps though :lol:

I'm working on an 'undertray' now, actually just a sheet of stainless steel, so I can remove all the crap and just have the license plate there with these blinkers.

I also hope to have my USD fork in it within a month. The original one is in bad shape and I don't want to spend any more money on it. It is a challenge though to keep the front wheel on the road, my front tire wears even faster than my rear tire :shock:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:08:49 PM »
Man - that thing looks sweet!  Nicely done.  Careful running around with cooked forks!   :shock:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:12:09 PM »
Nice job mate. Looks trick!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »
Su-PERB looking! Really nicely done.
Was this a straight bolt-on job, or did any of the mounts need to be modified?  Did you use the shock linkage from the bandit or from the RGV, and were there any other RGV parts required? I would really like to get one of these for my bike.
About your plans for the undertail, I would recommend cutting up your stock one rather than fabricating a new one. I made one from aluminum, and it was a PIA. It is very fiddly to get the mounting points right, plus you need an ECU mount, and someplace to keep your tool kit so it doesn't rattle against the metal and sound like a garbage can being thrown down a flight of stairs every time you ride over an expansion joint. It is pretty easy to cut up the stock fender so all you can see is the license plate and turn signals.
1991 B4

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »
That swingarm is very cool looking!
I had heard that you had to do some frame mods to get one to fit. What all did you have to do to fit that? Any pics of the process? and lastly but very important - how does the swingarm change the ride...if it does??Great looking ride.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:13:05 PM »
:thanks: for the comments :grin:

I knew it was not easy but it got even worse :lol:

I knew I had to figure something out for the rear brake pump because the bolt holding the brake line would touch the swinger. At the moment I have put some spacers behind the footrest plate but I am going to turn the brake pump 1/4 round so the plate can be mounted in it's normal position and the swinger is cleared.

Of course you need spacers at the swing axle and at the rear wheel because I am using the B4's wheel and rear brake. You also need to weld a mounting position on the swinger for the brake caliper's torque link.

I was using a longer than stock rear shock (GSX-R 750 '02) which raised the bike. The swinger is shorter than stock so it raised the bike again, which was too much for good handling. I was also short of space because of the piggyback reservoir on the shock. The GSXR 750 '91 shock is much better because it is not longer than the B4's, resulting in a better ride height, and the reservoir can be mounted somewhere else. This is necessary as the swinger would bump into the coolant reservoir, so you need to raise it by using brackets.

The biggest problem is the swinger bumping into the tube on which the battery tray is mounted. Instead of 120 mm rear wheel travel I only have 100 mm. If you use a long shock and raise the bike some more with other dogbones you won't have this problem but you won't have good handling either. So the only solution (if you are persistent in keeping the RGV swinger) is to cut off the tube and weld it 40 mm's further to the back of the bike. This will raise it by at least 40 mm's (the angle of the subframe at that point is at least 45 degrees upwards) and clears the swinger.

Since I am about to spray the new front rim and front fender from a GSX-R 750 '92 I can respray that part of the frame after welding. Maybe I am going to use a RGV 250 rear wheel (wider rim which can hold a 160 tire) so I can remove the spacers there but that depends on the bike's geometry. Right now my front tire is at full lean while my rear tire is not, resulting in a sliding front. With a 120 front tire it might be the other way around or it might be just right.

To be continued :beers:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 01:09:09 AM »
just tell them they need 5mm spacers to mount the swinger  :stickpoke: to the frame on each side!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline JR

• New user!
    • http://www.PB-R.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »
dude the mod look very nice  :congrats:

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 06:49:20 PM »
I've installed the GSR 600 rearbrake cylinder today :grin:

Now the bolt has moved from the swinger's side to the top of the brake pump so I can mount the footrest plate like it should be mounted.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
Nice work on that  swingarm! :bigok:

I love it.

G

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:34:27 PM »
Wow, you're pretty quick on resources! How did you find out the GSR600 had some usable parts? It looks like it's been made for our bikes!
Ahh, any difference in braking or any problems you encountered with installing it?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 05:15:41 PM »
I was lucky to find one at a junker in Germany for about $30 dollars. The holes are different and the bolt on top is about 0.2 mm from the frame :roll: Had to drill an extra hole in the brakepump just above the existing one to make it fit. It seems to have a better pressure point but maybe I had a little bit of air in it the last time, this time I've pumped a whole bottle of fluid through the system. I still need to modify the subframe a bit though to finish all the work on the swinger :roll:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 05:27:31 PM »
are you sure you didnt mean gsxr600 rear master instead of gsr600!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 09:34:55 AM »
Yes I am :wink: